39. Reunited at Christmas

***CHRISTMAS SPECIAL PT 1***

Hey guys! Told you I would give you a Christmas special! Have a very Merry Christmas, and if you don't celebrate Christmas, have good rest and a happy new year!

Enjoy!

***
We arrived at Mirkwood, as the sky became dark and grey. We went through the trees, whilst I trotted behind Legolas. The wood looked darker than I remembered, and gloom lurked everywhere.

"What happened, Legolas?" I asked, whispering in shock. He slowed to a walk, as the trees swayed in the breeze. I shivered.
"Since the rise of Sauron, spiders now lurk in Southern Mirkwood, my father is worried; the spiders are getting braver, straying futher away from their home."

He says, as we walk through the forests, the horses hooves clipping and clopping on the stone pathway. We arrived at the gateway, and then suddenly, something white fell on my head, making me jump. I screamed, and lost one of my stirrups, falling sideways, sliding of my horses saddle.

As if by teleportation, Legolas was stood by my horse, his arms outstretched, as I fell into them. I gasped, as the White stuff fell from Sky, as I lay in Legolas' arms. The frozen water fell, and landed on my nose, as I stared at it in awe.

"Snow, mellon nîn, have you never seen snow?" He asked, and I shook my head, as this 'snow' stuff fell on my red hair.
"It's beautiful." I said, feeling the coldness on my face. Legolas laughed, and I felt his chest against my side. He held me close to him, and I could feel his heartbeat.

"Should we...?" I ask, as I gesture to be put down. He jumps slightly and then lowers me to the ground.
"Yes of course." He says, as I stand up again. The bridge leading to the gate has snow collecting on it, and I can't feel myself sinking into it like a should. It's amazing. I tread lightly over the top of the thin layer that encompasses the bridge, as my horses hooves sink into it ever so slightly.

Legolas leads up to the gate, and the guards immediately let him in. The smell of dust lingers as the gates open more slowly than I remember.
"Mirkwood has become slow." I comment, and Legolas nods, although he doesn't speak. We walk down the branches, and a sense of belonging washed over me again. Everything comes flooding back, and I have to stop to keep myself upright.

The memories of shopping, shooting, arguing and dancing all come back, and I remember Thranduil's party, Thranduil's girlfriend, the beautiful stone roads.

I knelt down, as the branches stopped to give way to cobbled road, and touched the road. I could feel the air beneath the road, as I imagined the drop below Mirkwood, as the street lamps glowed with orange light, illuminating the people.

"Erynriel, come." I hear Legolas say, as we tie our horses back at the stable. I realise that it is nearly Christmas, and that there are no decorations anywhere. I look around, and see markets with sweets and hand made scarves and hats, as happy shoppers browse merrily.

Suddenly, I hear a familiar voice.
"No, I don't think that looks right with that scarf..."
"What do you mean?"
"It just doesn't- Oh my Valar!"
I see the blonde head of Maethorhest as she turns and looks to were Eowanna was pointing.

"What is it....!" She says, and then sees me. My heart seems to melt and break and shatter all at the same time, emotions I didn't think I could ever feel. Intense happiness coursed through me, as I felt tears spill over my eyes and run down my checks. I see Maethorhest drop all her bags, as she starts running up the street towards me, her green eyes red with tears.

I start running towards her, as I feel my feet spring lighter than anything, as I run towards her. We embrace, and break down on our knees, both sobbing. All I can hear is her sobbing, and me crying against her shoulder.
"Erynriel..." She sobs, as she takes my face, whiping away my tears with her fingers, and cupping my face. I grin a watery smile, as she looks me in the eyes.

"Don't ever do that again, I thought you were dead." She cries, as I smile.
"Don't worry, I won't." I say, and she smiles and laughs, as we hug again. That moment, that moment I knew I had found hope. Found hope in the darkest of times, with loss of family and friends, lovers and loved ones.

Finally, as I felt my knees on the cold street, and Maethorhest's warm body around me, I knew that whatever happened after this, I couldn't leave, I couldn't leave this place. Belonging here is one thing, but having friends here is another. I am one of the rare and lucky few that has both.

***
Awwww I hope you thought that was cute, I certainly did :3
Oh and I've decided to split the Christmas bit into two parts, because it is going to be quite a long part. And yes, it does correlate with the rest of the book, even though it is a Christmas special.

So have a very Merry Christmas, and spend time with your family and your friends, and enjoy yourself :3

And remember to Vote on all my chapters if you enjoy this book, as my vote count is going down and I would LOVE to have a decent number of votes as a Christmas present ;)

Love you all very much
~ Am xx