17 | We Don't Play

Start from the beginning

He did mean a few words. We all stood in silence and a few more seconds passed by...

"I hope you're up there, drinking milk," Cearra added, "And chasing toy mice."

**

The next afternoon, I entered Luke's bedroom with my backpack in my hands.

"Hey Minnie," he said, chucking his clothes from the chair into his cupboard to make space for me.

"I have your mom's birthday present," I told him, unzipping my backpack.

He kissed me hello. I pulled out the little box that I'd wrapped during my shift at Lola Rae and presented it to him.

"Her birthday's tomorrow but you don't need to get her anything," he said, letting his hand rest around my waist.

"I know, but it's for you to give to her. Remember, I asked you what favors I can do to repay the cost of the laptop?"

He held the box in his left hand, before placing it on the desk next to his new laptop. Then he sat down and pulled me onto his lap.

I was surprised by the move and my backpack dropped to the floor next to his feet. I wrapped my hands around his neck and my fingers played with the back of his soft hair.

"Minnie," he told me, "You're my girlfriend now. We don't play these games anymore."

My fingers froze in his hair. His blue eyes looked up at me. He was relaxed with the full weight of my body on his knees.

His hands rose and locked around my waist, "You feel me?"

Oh, I feel you

"Yes," I closed the space between us and kissed him softly, "But you're the only person I'll ever want to play with."

Our lips were still touching when he replied, "Well that changes the meaning."

Suddenly, he pulled me into the air as he stood up and threw us both on the bed. I screamed at the abrupt movement but laughed when my head brushed the pillow. I reached for it underneath me and hit his shoulder with the pillow.

He turned away so it wouldn't get in his face and laughed.

I loved the sound of his laugh.

"I'm still using the present by the way," he told me, "I forgot to get my mum one."

I smacked him with the pillow again.

"What was that for?!"

"For forgetting your mom's birthday!" I said, right before I hit him again.

"And that one?!" he exclaimed, reaching over me to grab another pillow from the bed.

I inhaled his familiar smell while he did.

"For forgetting to say thank you!"

He smirked and loosened his grip. "Oh, I can very quickly make you say thank you."

"How?"

That's when I realized we were on his bed...

**

Later that evening, the sun was setting outside his window. The colors of the sunset shone against his desk. Luke was sitting in front of his new laptop, downloading Microsoft Word.

He had an assignment to write for bio. He wasn't that focused about it. While he waited for it to load, he spun a basketball on his index finger and played with the ball.