☫ Chapter 33 ☫

Start from the beginning

     "Nah." He took large gulps of his Slurpee and refilled it once more.

     My eyes widened as he carried on to drink his Slurpee and refill it. I stopped him and heatedly whispered, "What are you doing? That's stealing."

     "First of all, relax. It's not stealing," he corrected and grabbed a Snickers chocolate bar.

     I waited for him to continue with what he was going to say but it didn't seem like he had anything else to add. "And?" I prompted him to go on.

     "And what?" He raised an eyebrow and ripped open the wrapping of the Snickers bar.

     "You said first of all," I answered and followed him around the shop. "What's the second of all?"

     "There's no second of all. I keep things short and I'm always right," he declared openly and without any doubt. Well, then. He bent down and grabbed a couple of donuts. "Buy one get one free! Isn't that great?"

     "But you're not paying anyway," I said and bent down next to him, scanning the buy one get one section. I wonder if they have any cheap protein bars. 

     "You don't need to rain down on my parade," he grumbled and passed me a few packs of donuts to carry for him. "Besides, this way you can get your share without feeling like a thief. Even though there's no reason to feel that way but like whatever you say, big guy."

     Huh. That's considerate of him.

     "But we're mostly wearing normal clothes. Other than the eye mask and face mask," I informed him before we made our way out of 7-Eleven. "How will they know it's you when we leave?"

     Before we left the abandoned house that was the superhero hideout, I recommended us changing into clothes that would blend in so we wouldn't get any attention as we scout the base. And that we'll need to just cover our face. If I knew we would be making a stop at 7-Eleven I would never have offered the idea up. We look incredibly suspicious. I'm surprised no one called the police on us. 

     "Am I the only one with a brain here?" He sighed and even though most of his face was covered, the glare was evident in his expression. "You'll just flap your wings and then they'll know it's us."

     "I have money on me. Please, let me pay."

     I don't want to 'rain down on his parade' but I also don't want to use my superpowers for something like this. 

     "I'm going to show you something," Dark Wonder responded sagely.

     I raised an eyebrow.

    He walked to the checkout and motioned for me to come by his side. I blew up my cheeks and reluctantly went to his side. He pointed at a frame on the wall that was behind the register. My eyes widened.

     It was a picture of Dark Wonder, holding a Slurpee and smirking at the camera. Engraved on the wooden frame it read 'Dark Wonder loves our Slurpees!' and it had a date. I did a mental calculation and came to a conclusion.

     "Were you the guy that saved 7-Eleven some months ago?" I asked. I remember it being on the news when I was babysitting Layla and Tobe.

     "Yes," he answered. "So you see, this is what happens when you're famous, Blue Gravity. Don't question my credibility again."

     I simply stared at him. How do I respond to that?

     "Now that I've taken over 7-Eleven, Snickers is next."

     Now he's just getting ahead of himself. He saves one 7-Eleven and he's come to the assumption that he owns the place. If he saved the Whitehouse, would he think he'll own America? Would he run for president? I'm imagining this and it's an amusing idea. It's a shame were far away from Washington D.C. I wonder how it would play out.