Chapter 38

I woke up from another nightmare. Toph continued to sleep beside me as I quietly got up. I walked into the forest and began training my firebending. About 30 minutes passed and I was feeling beginning to feel dizzy.

"How long have you been out here?" I heard Toph ask, startling me. 

"30 minutes or so." I threw out a fireball, it was smaller than I wanted it, making me frown and send out another one. I staggered, and grabbed a tree for support.

"You need to rest," she said, walking over to me. 

"I don't need to do anything except continue to train." I wiped away some blood dripping down from my nose. 

"Y/n-" 

"No, you don't get it Toph. You can actually use your bending without passing out from it. You can actually help people with your bending. You're not useless." She seemed shocked by my sudden outburst. "I need to keep training, okay. I can't let anyone get hurt because of me." 

She paused. "This isn't about your bending is it?" She asked. 

I sighed and shook my head. "No, it isn't." My legs gave out from under me and I fell to my knees. Toph sat down next to me.

"I'm so tired Toph... I'm 12 I shouldn't be doing all of this." A small flame danced in my hand. "Kids shouldn't be fighting a war." The flame went out as she grabbed my hand, gently squeezing it. Eventually the exhaustion took over and I passed out on her shoulder.

"....n" I shifted. "Y/n. Wake up" Yun stood above me. "You need to wake up, Master wants to see you early this morning." 

"When does he not?" I sat up, rubbing my eyes. Yun grabbed a wet cloth and handed it to me. I used it to clean my face. "Will you be teaching me how to read today?" I asked her.

She shook her head. "Unfortunately no, I couldn't get a book. I can teach you another recipe during lunch though." 

"I feel like all I'm learning is recipes, and how to make clothes, and hunting, and just about everything but reading." I stood up and put on a different outfit.

"These are skills that will help you in life," Yun said helping me put it on.

"That's if I ever get out of here." 

She gave me a stern look. "You know we're not allowed to talk about that." 

I rolled my eyes. Yun began doing my hair. "Do you remember anything about your life, before this?" I asked her. "Every day I feel like I'm forgetting something." 

"I've been here for long I don't know anything else. But I won't let that happen to you okay? You'll get out there and have another life someday." She finished my hair, putting a pin it.

I sighed and headed over to the masters office, where he always was. I bowed to him as I entered. "We'll be having guests tonight, your services could be requested after dinner." He wrote on a sheet of paper, not looking up at me. "That is all."

"Actually can I ask you something sir?" He glanced up at me, then back down. I took it as a sign to speak. "Why does everyone... Want... Me now? Why not Yun anymore?"

"Yun's growing old, she's almost 35. You're still young and desirable." I shuddered. "Now unless you have another question..." I bowed and walked out.

"You're back early," Yun said as I walked into our shared room. "I take it he didn't want anything?"

"Only wanted to tell me we had guests coming over. I assume it's just business, considering they might not request me... or something." 

"Well, just in case you're shown during the dinner, we're going over your manners." 

I groaned. "Do I really have to?" 

"Yes." 

The next hour up to lunch was spent going over my manners. And anything else Yun had previously taught me. She taught me another recipe during lunch too. 

Eventually the guests arrived. There were two Fire Nation soldiers. Yun and I served them tea. 

"The younger one, how old is she?" One of the soldiers asked. 

"Old enough," Master said. 

"Are either of them benders?" The other one asked. His friend seemed confused by this question.

"Yun is an earthbender, a weak one however, we make sure she never practices her bending. And Y/n doesn't bend." 

"You never told me you were a bender," I whispered to Yun as we went into the kitchen. 

"He doesn't let anyone talk about bending." We began making dinner. "So don't mention it okay." I nodded. "Besides, not being a bender keeps you safe from the Fire Nation. Most of the time." 

She handed me a tray of food. I took it out to them. "How much?" 

"15 for one night," Master said. 

"No, permanently, how much is the girl?"

"She isn't for sell." The soldier placed a large bag of gold coins on the table. Master opened it up and poured some in his hand. "Y/n, pack your bags."

"There won't be any need for that," the soldier said. "Say your goodbyes, we leave tonight." 

I bowed and walked back into the kitchen. "You were out there for a while, what happened?" Yun asked. 

"They're buying me, permanently." She looked shocked. "I'm leaving tonight." 

"Y/n!" Master yelled. 

I bowed to her. "Thank you, for everything." I turned around and left. 

The soldiers, now wearing a cloak, took me to the door. "What about our other business?" Master asked as the doors opened. 

"She will be perfect enough." We walked out. 

"Y/n!" I heard Yun yell. I looked back at her to see two guards restraining her. She pushed them aside, using her bending. I stared shocked. "Run!" She sent a large boulder towards the two soldiers. They dodged and threw a fireball at her.

Yun fell to the ground, dead.