Chapter 30

"I can't believe I'm saying this... but thanks Zuko," Aang said.

"Hey, and what about me? I did the boomerang thing." Sokka gestured, holding it up.

"Listen, I know I didn't explain myself very well yesterday. I've been through a lot in the past few years, and it's been hard. But I'm realizing that I had to go through all those things to learn the truth. I thought I had lost my honor, and that somehow my father could return it to me. But I know now that no one can give you your honor. It's something you earn for yourself, by choosing to do what's right. All I want now is to play my part in ending this war. And I know my destiny is to help you restore balance to the world," Zuko said. He turned to Toph and I.

"I'm sorry for what I did to you." He bowed to Toph. "It was an accident. Fire can be dangerous and wild. So as a firebender, I need to be more careful and control my bending so I don't hurt people unintentionally."

"....You're lucky you helped sort of save our lives," I said.

Aang thought to himself for a second. "I think you are supposed to be my firebending teacher. When I first tried to learn firebending, I burned Katara. And after that, I never wanted to firebend again. But now I know you understand how easy it is to hurt the people you love." He bowed. "I'd like you to teach me."

"Thank you. I'm so happy you've accepted me into your group." He smiled at us.

"Not so fast. I still have to ask my friends if it's ok with them. Toph, you're the one that Zuko burned. What do you think?"

I looked over at her. She was quiet for a second. "Go ahead and let him join. It'll give me plenty of time to get back at him for burning my feet." I giggled.

"Sokka?"

He shrugged. "Hey, all I want is to defeat The Fire Lord. If you think this is the way to do it, then I'm all for it."

Aang nodded and turned to Katara. "Katara?"

She frowned looking at Zuko. "I'll go along with whatever you think is right."

"Y/n?"

I hummed, thinking. "I'm still okay with it." I looked over at Zuko. "Just don't cause me any more problems."

"I won't let you down, I promise." He smiled.

Sokka let him away to his room, which we were all now getting. I made sure mine was close to Toph's. Although everyone slept outside a lot... Doesn't make sense.

"Hey Sokka, you dropped one of your maps," I called out to him. It was laying on the ground, unrolled. I looked at the contents. It was of the southernmost part of the Earth Kingdom. "Pl...plai..."

"Oh, plains village?" He picked up the map and stuffed it back in his bag. My eyes widened and my hands began to nervously fidget. "Why, what about it?"

"Nothing uh...," I hid my hands behind my back and quickly walked away, over to Toph.

"You okay?" She asked as I sat down next to her.

"Yeah. I'm fine."

Her eyes narrowed. "You're lying."

"What? Oh, I forgot you could do that." I sighed. "It's nothing."

"You're lying about that too."

"Ugh, okay, fine." I turned towards her. "You remember when I first met you guys and said that 'I didn't remember where I was from'?"

"Yeah, you lied about that too, huh?"

"I did... I do remember where I'm from, I just didn't want to go back... It's Plain's Village."

"What about now? Do you wanna go back?"

"I still don't want to, but I feel like I have to. I need answers, and... closure, whatever that's gonna end up being."

"Do you want me to go with you?" Toph asked.

"Only if you want to."

"Hey guys, what are you talking about?" Katara asked, walking over to us.

"I'm planning on leaving, Toph if she wants to come with."

"Where are you going?"

"To find my mother," I said.

"Well you're going to need Appa then," Aang said, walking over to us. Appa followed him.

"So, are you gonna come with me?" I turned and asked Toph.

"Of course I will." She stood up.

The two of us got our stuff and got on Appa, heading for the Plain's Village.

"So what do you remember about your parents?" Toph asked.

"Basic things. My mom hated me, I know that much. I always remember her being so beautiful. But apparently I had my dad's eyes."

"I'm sure I'll see the similarities," she joked.

I smiled. "She loved him, too. Spent every moment of her life telling me stories about him. He went off to fight in the war before I was born, so she says. And considering her deep rooted hatred towards me, I think he died... And I think my eyes are what angered her. She couldn't see them in any other way... And then after that she sold me, leading to the worst years of my life."

I felt Toph grab my hand. "You sound almost fond of her."

"I wouldn't say fond, I just... miss it. And miss the life I could've had." A village appeared in the distance. "And- ...we're here."

Appa landed on the outskirts of the village. When we got off I put on a cloak, hiding myself in it. Toph and I walked through the town, everyone staring at us as we did.

"I don't think they're too keen on us being here." I squeezed Toph's hand.

"Well, they can't force us to leave."

"They probably could..." I watched a soldier eye us as we walked past. "Her house is just ahead. Hopefully, she's still living there."

I walked up to the door and knocked. An old lady answered. "Hello?"

"Are you... M/n?"

"Who's asking?" She closed the door some more, wary.

"Me, your daughter."