Chapter 31

"I never thought I would see you again." She opened up the door letting us in. "More like hoped, honestly."

"Why?"

"You really never figured it out? I hated you, I never wanted you either." She smiled and pointed a finger at me. "But your father, he did, he loved you with all his heart..." she frowned, and glared at me. "More than he loved me. You have his eyes you know. And my looks. Worst combination in my opinion." She sat down in a chair. "And when he went off into the war I was left to care for you, alone."

"So what, you sold me? Just like that?""

"Not at first. Originally I thought to just raise you, or leave you on the side of the road. But then a man came to me offering a large sum of money for you. Naturally I took the offer."

"Yeah, that was pretty evident. I was worth a lot more you know."

"I assume you bought your freedom or something, worked your way out. That's what I'd expect from any daughter of mine. Spirits know you wouldn't be able to do better."

"You lost the privilege of being my mother when you sold me to a bunch of people who used me."

"And you lost the privilege of being my daughter when your dad left. Look at you." She spat out. "If only you were a bender like your father, that would've cost you a prettier penny than I got."

"Look at me? Look at you! You sold your daughter!" The fireplace lit up, a bright flame exploding out of it. "You're supposed to protect and love me! Not sell me to a bunch of people who-"

Toph grabbed my hand making me snap out of my rage. The fire calmed down and extinguished itself. I sighed and turned around, heading for the door.

"Your father's alive," she said. "He lives on the other farm outside of the city."

I continued out the door, heading back to Appa. "Do you wanna talk about it?" Toph asked.

"No, I don't." She mumbled something and silently followed me. I got on top of Appa, wiping away a few tears. "There's one farm outside of the city, and that's that way." I pointed over to it, a blob in the distance.

I flew up over the city to get a good look. There was another farm, farther away. Appa flew towards it.

"Are you sure you want to see him?" Toph asked me as we walked up to the door.

"I have to."

I knocked on the door. A young girl answered. "Hi."

"Kotoe, who's at the door?" Someone asked. They walked over, their footsteps getting louder.

"Just some girl." An old man appeared at the door. He looked at me for a second, then seemed surprised.

"You look just like your mother." He smiled.

"Are you my father?"

He sighed, sadly. "No, unfortunately I'm not. I'm your uncle. Please come in, I'll tell you some more." He opened the door more and Toph and I walked in. "This is Kotoe, your cousin. Please make us some tea."

She nodded and walked away. The three of us sat down. Kotoe brought out a tray of tea for us. "What was my father like?" I asked him.

"He was kind, and strong. Your father was always upset about your mother... doing what she did." He sighed. "He tried everything to get you back, but unfortunately it didn't work."

"What happened to him?"

"He died a year ago, to this day exactly. It's sad yes... but I think he would be proud to see you where you are now, free. He loved you."