I hastily wipe my hand against my leggings again before returning her handshake. I clear my throat and step back, opening the door wider. "Come in," I say hoarsely.

My eyes scan her outfit, noting that she's once again casually dressed in a simple pair of jeans and a graphic t-shirt. This time it's Star Wars themed, matching the vibrantly colored tattoo that's displayed proudly on her forearm.

"Um, do you wanna sit?" I ask nervously. "Or do you want to get straight into the tour? Savannah's room is—"

"We can sit," She smiles kindly.

I lead her to the kitchen and watch numbly as she lightly places a tote bag I didn't realize she was holding at her feet.

"Did you want something to drink? I think we have-"

"Aria," She laughs breezily. "Please, sit. Relax. I don't bite."

Sighing, I plop down in the chair across from her. I nervously bring the sleeves of my sweatshirt over my palms, anxiously twisting the fabric in my lap. In this moment I don't feel twenty-one, almost twenty-two. I feel like the same seven year old child that watched a woman with narrowed, hawk-like eyes scan our living room in suspicion, my stomach in knots just as it was nearly fifteen years ago.

"I first want to apologize for dropping by so late in the evening," Angela begins.

My eyes dart towards the stovetop, noting that it's almost 8 P.M. I've been cleaning all day, lost in my thoughts, and hadn't even realized how late it had gotten.

"To tell you the truth, Ms. Adkins, I wasn't going to stop by today."

I freeze, confused and nervous.

Angela smiles wryly. "It's been apparent to me since the moment that I met you and Savannah that your sister is living in a happy and healthy home. I do, however, want to note that you are not her legal guardian, and she's still a minor."

My throat closes up. "It's only been just us for about a month or two now," I hastily explain. "Our mom was living here, but she..."

I hesitate, unsure of whether or not to add "But she was on drugs," because if anything, that will get Savannah taken from me.

"Savannah has dropped a few hints about y'all's situation," Angela assures me. "Not to mention the fact that she turns eighteen in a few days."

"Two," I add quickly.

"Yes, two," She says, still smiling.

My eye twitches, and I have the urge to yell "Why are you smiling? This is serious shit," but I refrain. Barely.

"Anyway," she continues. "I wasn't going to stop by because I'm aware that she turns eighteen in two days. But, a courtesy visit is all a part of the job. Aria, there's no reason for me to believe that Savannah is in any kind of danger in this household."

"Did someone say she was?" I ask.

Angela hesitates. "You know I can't tell you that."

Tears prick my eyes. "With all due respect Mrs. Farrish, I know that you can't tell me that. But that doesn't make it any easier to hear when there's someone out there trying to separate my baby sister and I."