↳ CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

KAI DIDN'T EVEN know where to begin

KAI DIDN'T EVEN know where to begin. He had so many questions, so many legendary stories to verify from the original source, so many jokes to crack in the knowledge that they would be truly appreciated — he had days worth of attention for Benjamin Espinoza, his heart pounding in his chest with awe and his eyes gleaming curiously as he glanced over to the passenger seat where the cool, unbothered man bobbed his head to the music playing from the radio. Kai hadn't even realized that all that he heard of Benji had affected him so deeply, but he supposed it was like seeing a tall tale come true; an urban legend of sorts.

         Maybe, Kai was just truly excited to have someone allegedly as impulsive and shameless as him in the city — not to mention, he was still navigating his way through the LGBTQ+ community, whereas Benjamin beamed pride of who he was in the best possible way.

        "So, you weren't here last time I checked. A newbie?" Benji took the opportunity to speak up, his sunglasses sliding to the tip of his nose so he could give Kai a knowing look.

        "New to L.A, sure. New to law enforcement, not by a long shot", he grinned with a shrug, "I worked for the NYPD for years."

        At that, Benji was gasping and fully taking off his sunglasses, just in time for Kai to pull up at the parking lot of the LAPD. "Oh, damn, are you the guy who gets on Chlo's nerves?" he laughed boldly, Kai's nod only reinforcing the amusement he failed to hide even when he unbuckled his belt and turned to the car door. "In that case, my dear friend Izzy has already told me so much about you", he added with a smile, one that Kai wound up returning despite not knowing whether that was a good thing or not.

        "For what it's worth, I've heard a lot about you, too", Kai noted while turning off the car and following Ben's lead out of the vehicle and towards the building. His words, rather than worrying the Espinoza, got him to flash a taunting smirk, one that Kai felt came naturally from him.

        "I'm sure you have. Nothing like the real deal, though", he clarified with a lavish gesture at himself, and more than aware that he was correct, Kai suppressed a chuckle and simply nodded. That was something he could imagine saying himself, convincing him that they were something of kindred spirits.

        It was no surprise that as soon as the two were entering the bullpen, Kai's presence was completely ignored and all their closest friends were dashing to Benjamin's side with gasps and disbelieving eyes. Dan was the first one to wrap his arms around the man in sheer comfort and relief, and Kai couldn't help but smile happily — he had been so distressed about Benji being gone, and at last, they were reunited. Izzy, on the other hand, radiated smugness, suggesting that she had known about the man's return all along.

        Nevertheless, Chloe, Ella and even Charlotte reacted with wide eyes, though Benjamin's confused stare left Kai wondering if he even knew the latter. It seemed that everyone previously involved with the Richards had a complicated relationship with her, but there was no time for any of them to ask a thing when Lucifer was appearing from the hallway and stopping in his tracks at the sight of Benji, his casual stroll freezing and his confident aura evaporating on the spot.