↳ CHAPTER SIXTEEN

AS THE WEEKEND rolled in and Kai was allowed to properly cut loose, he became practically the most recognizable face in Lux

         AS THE WEEKEND rolled in and Kai was allowed to properly cut loose, he became practically the most recognizable face in Lux. Having friends in high places — or low, considering Hell — seemed to pay off, as Lucifer's friendship guaranteed free drinks and unrestricted access no matter the time of day, and it was a privilege Kai was putting to good use. He had dragged Mateo with him, as well as Ella, Izzy and even Dan, only to come to the conclusion that none of them could keep up with him. It wasn't that his friends, especially his roommate, wasn't filled with life and enthusiasm, but the rush coursing through Kai's veins was entirely different.

           See, whereas they had been bestowed the role of a wingman, Kai was celebrating his true self. When it came to keeping things under wraps at work and thinking about ways to bring his sexuality up with his family, it felt like a chore. But when he got to come to Lux, have a drink and dance with whoever he liked, there were no limits to his freedom — he felt untouchable and invincible while singing along the songs and grinding against women and men alike.

         And frankly, he wasn't sure when it would stop. As far as he was concerned, he could go on all weekend long, but it seemed his friends and acquaintances had opposing thoughts on the matter.

          "Hey, Nolan!" The loud shout spoken sternly snapped Kai out of his thoughts, the colorful drink in his hand almost spilling as he looked down from the table he had climbed onto. With the top button of his flannel undone, it was safe to say things could have gone either way in the following minutes, but with Mazikeen staring up at him with her arms crossed like a concerned mother, his celebratory dancing was interrupted brutally. "Izzy sent me to see how you're doing. Ya about done?"

        Downing the rest of his drink, Kai sighed in satisfaction at the sweet taste before ditching the glass and spreading his arms wide to gesture at the flowing audience of people. "With this conversation, perhaps. I'm having the time of my life, Mazie. Because this isn't a sad, denial kind of drinking. I'm embracing who I am!" he announced proudly, not a hint of doubt in his grin as he thought back to all the shameless making out he had participated in the past couple of nights.

        "A disaster bi, yeah, join Lucifer's club. Didn't you recently get shot?" Maze continued wondering with a pondering look cast down at his leg and then back up at the tipsy man. "And where's your friend? You know, with the glitter and everything", she added on before scanning the crowd — if Kai remembered correctly, the woman was an excellent bounty hunter, but there were no friends for her to find tonight.

        "Oh, Mateo. He went home already. Something about looking for a steady relationship rather than casual hook-ups, bleh", Kai blurted out without filter, his usual hopeless romantic tendencies out the window with the alcohol flowing through his veins. No doubt the next morning's crash back down would take a toll on him, but for now, he was feeling good and unstoppable. "Besides, since when are you such a bore, Lady Leather Pants? I thought you knew how to partay", Kai continued with a solid argument.