Chapter 19

Bruce had come back with more supplies just in time to help Tony finish the emergency aid on Pietro. As soon as they were done Raptor had gone to Pietro's side, refusing to leave it even after the announcement they'd found Barton and were testing the new Time-Space GPS. He still hadn't woken up. It was still uncertain if he would make it despite his condition being stabilized. Despite the request to join them- along with a comment on how even Thor was there- I wasn't going to let Pietro out of my sight.

Claws scraped the floor as one of the three cyborgs got to their feet from the corner of the room. Raptor turned to glare at them, a growl rising in her throat. It wasn't entirely their fault they attacked him but she couldn't exactly find the version of herself who ordered it.

"Why though... Why would I do that?" The question continued to pester her. What would make her turn on him? They'd been on the same side. "Unless I saw both of them and assumed this version was a fake?"

A darker thought crossed her mind. "Or what if we never betrayed Ultron? Natasha lived long enough to join the battle of Sokovia, as did Delta. If I sided with Ultron it would only make sense I'd follow his orders to... to try killing Pietro... I was a monster back then- just learning to be more than that."

The three hunkered on the ground, still watching her closely after she'd snapped at them. Raptor couldn't be sure how much they understood but it was unlikely they knew much beyond the fact she was their alpha- an alpha who was probably acting drastically different than the one they'd known.

"Should probably be glad she didn't come through with them- that would've been a real chaotic disaster." Raptor shuddered at the possibilities. "What would've happened? We'd break reality? Only one of us would exist while the other disappeared? We'd kill each other? Simply both exist?"

All the questions were starting to give her another headache. She shook them from her mind and curled up next to Pietro's bed. It was big enough even in this form to sleep around him but with his injury she didn't want to risk hurting him even more- even if she did switch forms. Despite the extra energy being put into staying in this form without hurting the unborn child, she didn't want to risk changing into her weaker human form. Not with those three around. Not with a potentially dangerous situation happening in another part of the facility.

Her head lowered as her eyes closed. She'd hear if something went wrong and anything tried to attack them.

***

A low groan made her eyes snap open. A rumble sounded deep in her throat for a moment before seeing the room was exactly as it was when she'd fallen asleep. She relaxed and settled back down with a glance at Pietro. Relief flooded through her when she saw him stir.

"Ra...Raptor?" His hand weakly reached out and brushed her scales.

She gently nuzzled him before shifting forms, hiding the discomfort the best she could. "I'm right here."

"I didn't... I didn't think I would make it back." His tired gaze stared at her. "I... I almost wasn't fast enough..."

"You'll be fine now." Raptor hoped she wasn't lying. "I won't let anything happen to you."

"You... you were so different..." His eyes drifted closed briefly and his head lolled to the side. "Ultron... he... he made you... he made you do this..."

Guilt ran through her despite knowing that alternate version's actions weren't her own. "Get some rest, do you need anything? I'm sure Banner has something if you're in pain. I can-"

"No... I-I am fine..." He gritted his teeth and sat up, leaning heavily on the wall, before looking at her again. "See?"

She saw he was lucky to be alive despite looking half dead. However, Raptor decided it was best to avoid fretting over him too much. The fact he'd regained consciousness so soon had to mean he was doing a lot better than when he'd gotten back. She nodded and brushed some messed u hair from his face.

Pietro's gaze shifted past her to the three raptors lying in the corner watching them; his body tensed. "You can still control them, yes?"

"Surprisingly that chip in my head hasn't rusted yet." Raptor turned to watch the three as well. "...You know, I hated losing them but this wasn't how I expected a reunion to go- didn't even think I'd have one."

"Are... are you sure? You have not been well, it could be... it could be the chip."

A faint smile crossed her face that went unseen by Pietro, as she debated on if now was the best time to tell him the news. He was still half out of it, though if he knew the truth perhaps the good news would help him relax and focus on getting better.

"Um... actually, Banner got back to me with the results. We-"

The three cyborg raptors growled as the door opened and Stark walked into the room. He gave them suspicious looks before turning to her. "If you're going to keep them then get them under control."

"They aren't going to bite you- unless I tell them to... So don't give me a reason to give that order." Her own voice began turning into a snarl. Stark was the last person she wanted to see, let alone speak with right now.

"Peace remember?" He chided before getting to the point of his interruption. "We need you to help- that's kind of the point of having the whole team here- so suit up and get out."

He glanced between them before taking a deep breath and showing a little more sympathy. "Pietro will be fine. I have the monitors set to alert me should something happen. Right now, the world needs our help and that includes yours."

She didn't want to believe him but he was right. They had to fix what Thanos had done. Raptor gave Pietro one last look of uncertainty before following after Tony. "I'll be back soon."

His weak, quiet protest and look of despair burned into her head as she and her pack left.