•twenty two•

"So what are we thinking?"

John B walked out to the porch where the group had gathered as they waited for him to shower. Grace was sitting next to JJ on the couch, his arm over the back over her chair as she leaned slightly against his side. His fingers played with the end of her ponytail, fiddling with the dark locks. Kie and Sarah were sitting across from them in two armchairs as Pope sat up on the ledge. John B walked over and leaned against the arm of Sarah's chair.

"Well we know we need to get this thing turned into cash," Kie announced as she gestured with the gold bar.

"Yeah to pay for JJ's restitution. I doubt the police are gonna take straight gold for payment," Grace added, ignoring Kie's look at her and JJ's position.

"How are we gonna turn that," Sarah pointed at the gold in Kie's hand. "Into cash?"

"We could try pawning it," Pope suggested.

"With a giant wheat symbol on it?" Kie looked up at him with disbelief.

"We could melt it down and get rid of it," JJ shrugged.

"Melt gold?" Sarah scoffed with disbelief as the rest of the group looked at JJ.

Grace turned slightly and raised an eyebrow at JJ, "How do you expect to melt gold? Got a secret furnace we don't know about?"

"You don't need a furnace to melt it. Look we just get a blow torch okay? Those things can heat up to like 4000 degrees. So we just put that sucker over the gold for a few minutes and voila, no more wheat," JJ explained to the rest of the group. They all nodded their heads response as they thought through the plan.

Pope started to shake his head, "Wait do you own a blow torch?"

"No but--"

"Because you can't just walk into Walmart or something and get one of that high quality," Pope pointed out, interrupting JJ.

"Look, Pope, I can get a blow torch okay?" JJ said confidently leaning back against the couch.

Pope, always the pessimist, continued to look back at him skeptically, "Really?"

JJ flipped Grace's ponytail around his fingers as he answered Pope, "Really. It's one of my many talents."

"Many talents?" Kie scoffed tauntingly as she looked up at him.

"Yeah, just ask Rhodes about the many others."

JJ smirked over at Grace as her face turned bright red and she quickly looked down. Pope started to choke on his spit at the boy's comment and started hacking uncontrollably. John B tried to cover his snicker with a small cough as Sarah and Kie starred at Grace with raised eyebrows.

Grace elbowed him in the side as he laughed at her discomfort. "I hate you," she mumbled.

"Wait, are you two--" Kie started to ask as Pope gained control of his breathing and stopped coughing.