•two•

"Welcome to the Château Grace," John B said after he parked the van and the teens hopped out

"Welcome to the Château Grace," John B said after he parked the van and the teens hopped out. Grace looked around at the decently sized piece of land that held a half-built garage, old fishing shack, several old boats, a big hammock, and a rustic wooden dock that lead out to the marsh. The shack, which Grace assumed was John B's house, had a large open sunporch connected to it with several couches and chairs on it.

"Bet your house isn't nearly as nice," JJ joked as they all walked inside, where empty beer bottles, used clothes, and old pizza boxes were cluttered about.

"Not even close," Grace answered, only half lying. While her house was impeccably designed and decorated, with large chandeliers and expensive artwork, the empty house was so perfectly maintained it was almost as if there was no life in it. The Château had an entirely different atmosphere to it: well used, warm, and full of life, even if it did smell slightly like beer and B.O.

"I'm thinking," John B started as he walked towards the fridge. "Grab a few beers and head out on the Pogue. I heard Tom say something about getting a good haul in from the marsh the other day for bait."

"I'm in, gotta smoke somewhere," JJ agreed.

"I'm in I just have to work out some details for my scholarship essay," Pope remarked.

"Scholarship essay?" Grace questioned causing the rest of the Pogues to internally groan, having already heard Pope talk about his scholarship all summer.

"Yeah for the Lucas T. Vanderhorst Merit Scholarship. I have to write an essay and interview for the final round," Pope explained.

"No shit that's so cool. What are you going to write about?" Grace asked genuinely interested in hearing the Pogue's accomplishments.

"Well I was going to talk about the different decay rates in cadavers-" Pope started before JJ interrupted him.

"Wow, Pope you really know how to reel in the ladies. Decay rates in dead bodies? Tell me more casanova."

"Very funny JJ," Pope rolled his eyes, used to the boy's mocking.

"And you're such the smooth talker?" Grace raised an eyebrow at the blonde.

"Well, I don't bring up dead bodies as the first topic. I choose to talk about more interesting things. Like my huge di-"

"Who says dead bodies aren't interesting?" Grace quipped back, interrupting the boy before he could make his vulgar comment. "You know there are over 100 dead bodies frozen on Mount Everest."

"Actually there are 200 and the bodies are so well preserved people actually use them as trail markers. How did you know that?" Pope corrected, slightly astonished that a girl was actually talking to him about corpses.

"Well, I heard it in that movie that came out a few years ago about Mount Everest. The one with Jake Gyllenhaal. I don't actually know shit about corpses, I was just trying to prove to someone that some girls might prefer to talk about them instead of other, less interesting, insignificant topics that JJ mentioned earlier." Grace explained slyly causing John B to snicker.