18: A Tale As Old As Time

A blur is all Jesper first sees when he wakes up. Does this happen all the time in heaven? Once his vision puts itself back together, he sees a joyous Margú.

Jesper: M-Margú...?

Margú: Jesper! Dii ai boktit! (Gasps) Dii ai orrut!

Jesper looks around to see the warm sensation of Klaus's house. There he is, laying on Klaus's couch, arms all bandaged up.

Jesper: Did... Did you see what was in my arms by any chance?

Margú: (nods) Charles ja Klaus bargat beare.

Jesper: You all did? (Mutters) Great.... (his pupils widen) Y-Y-You saw....

Margú: (her smile drops as she nods)

Jesper: Oh no... Oh no no no... M-Margú.... I-I'm so sorry you had to see that. I would've never wanted you to see how much of a wreck I really was... Life's been hard ever since.... my mom died....

Margú: Dii ai hui stuoris, Jesper. Geahčen fáktum, dii ai imašlaš!

Jesper: I thought.... I honestly thought there was no one in the world who even likes me. My dad and Janna want me dead, you kids will hate me once you see that we ran out of presents, and Klaus.... I messed everything up as usual and I was for sure he never wanted to see me again.... (sighs) That witch is right.... Who could ever love a beast....?

Margú: (grabs hold of his paw) Charles, Klaus, ja mun dáhttut ain ráhkestit dii.

Jesper: (gives a shaky smile)

Margú: (climbs onto Jesper to embrace him) Dieppe dieppe. Diktit son olgun.

Jesper gently lets his paw run down Margú's head all the way down to her back. He lets his tears run down his cheeks as he settles into an embrace.

Jesper: Y-You think you could keep a secret?

Margú: (tilts her head)

Jesper: I.... What I cannot live without are silk, tea, and.... Well, Klaus. (Blushes) I love Klaus a whole lot. His soft beard, his compassion towards others, his goofy laugh, the way he towers above me.... Just, everything about Klaus... I absolutely adore him. I.... I'd give up my estate and humanity for Klaus....

Margú: (giggles)

Jesper: (chuckles for a bit, then gets serious) I... Is he still mad at me?

Margú: (shakes her head) Klaus goassege issoras dii.

Jesper: If there is a chance, I would love to apologize for that incident....

Margú: Klaus! Klaus!

Jesper turns around and there is Klaus, wearing those pajamas that always make him blush. The elder walks up with a look that is a mix of bewilderment and relief.

Klaus: Jesper....

Jesper: G-Good morning to you, too....?

Klaus pulls Jesper out of the couch and into his embrace. The beast, taken aback, slowly nudges his arms out so he can wrap them in Klaus's back.

Klaus: Thank heavens... Jesper, wh... What were you thinking?

Jesper: I-I'm sorry, Klaus.... I'm sorry for poking around with stuff I shouldn't... It was stupid and selfish of me....

Klaus: I didn't want you to die over it... Nobody in here did.

Jesper: (voice starts to shake) I'm s-sorry... I-I-I thought th-that, when y-you t-told me to g-g-get out.... th-that you di-didn't want a-anything to do w-with m-me....

Klaus: Oh, Jesper.... I'm sorry I gave you that impression. I just.... It was a sensitive subject and I stopped thinking straight.

Jesper: And I-I shouldn't h-had triggered i-it.... I-I thought no one w-was there f-for m-me.... Th-That I was r-really w-was some h-ho-horrid b-beast....

Klaus: Don't worry, Jesper. I'm always going to be here....

Jesper & Klaus: (in unison) I'm sorry.

They take a good minute to make eye contact with one another. They both underestimate just how gorgeous the other's eyes are. From Jesper's big oval shape that scream his innocence to Klaus's pine pupils that reflect his love for nature, the two men find so much to love in their eyes.

Yet, despite that, they can not yet find the words to describe how they feel. Just how much love they feel.

Klaus: ...... Those figurines were ones I made of myself.... and my wife. Sh-She probably died long before you were born.... The rest were supposed to resemble our children. Once it was time.... Neither of them made it....

Jesper: Oh, Klaus.... And I reminded you of that.... God, I apologize once again. I'm sorry if that's annoying, but it needs to be let out of my chest...

Klaus: You're alright, Jesper.

Jesper: I mean, I should've known how that felt. My mom.... She got sick.... I wasn't even there for her final minutes.... I never got to say goodbye.....

Klaus: And was that what.... spiraled into this? (Points at Jesper's arms)

Jesper stays silent from there, giving Klaus his answer. He pulls the skinnier male up and put his right hand down his fur covered back (gently, of course).

Klaus: Do you wanna go outside, Jesper? Maybe... slow dance to the snow?

Jesper tilts his head, a bit caught off guard by Klaus's request.

Klaus: I-It was just something Lydia and I did a lot and, well.... I thought it could give us peace. I'm sorry if this sounds weird-

Jesper: Of course. I'm fine with that request. Absolutely fine....

Margú proceeds to wake up Charles so that he, too, can see the spectacle that is about to go down. The early morning is perhaps the most peaceful time for the forest, with birds chirping and no signs of wind except for a comforting small breeze. It is perfect for the two men to begin their dance.

A lonesome traveler named Y/N is walking down the forest until they spot the dance. To give it some life, they start to sing the most romantic song they can think of. And it didn't really matter that Y/N is not the best singer since, either way, Klaus and Jesper will always have the time of their lives.

Tale as old as time
True as it can be
Barely even friends
Then something bends
Unexpectedly

Just a little change
Small to say the least
Both a little scared
Neither one prepared
Beauty and the Beast

Charles and Margú watch in awe as the breeze circles around the main leads.

Ever just the same
Ever a surprise
Ever as before
Ever just as sure
As the sun will rise

Tale as old as time
Tune as old as song
Bittersweet and strange
Finding you can change
Learning you were wrong

Jesper leans his head on Klaus's chest, making the older man slightly blush. He strokes Jesper's fur on his head, making the younger man definitely blush.

Certain as the sun
Rising in the east
Tale as old as time
Song as old as rhyme
Beauty and the Beast.

They eventually have to let go of one another's grasp, not really wanting to be the first to do so. So they just hold hands and walk into Klaus's cabin.

Tale as old as time
Song as old as rhyme
Beauty and the Beast....

Y/N walks away, a smile plastered on their face. Whatever they have just witnessed, they were happy to help make their day as well as their own.