Chapter thirty five - In which you go home

Start from the beginning

"I want to assure you that this is not the case. Your parents are your biological parents, as I'm sure they reassured you." she told you.

"Thank you." you said, unsure of how else to reply. Frigga smiled sadly at you and turned to say goodbye to her two sons, and then you followed Thor back the way you had come, taking one last look back at the magnificent throne room but glad to be escaping outside. Loki caught your gaze as you turned and half smiled at you, not looking directly at you. Nervous.

Have you ever seen him this hungover?

You slowed down: an invitation. He accepted, coming to walk beside you.

Yes, it's not pretty is it.

Not exactly.

As you exited the palace and walked back the way you had come only yesterday you found yourself thinking that yesterday felt like a lifetime ago. So much had happened in the last day.

"Lady Y/N, wait!"

You turned at the sound of your name being called to see Fandral rushing towards you, flanked by Volstagg and Hogun. Loki groaned exaggeratedly and you tried not to smile.

"You weren't going to leave without saying goodbye, were you?" he asked when he reached you, looking concerned.

"No, of course not." you lied through your teeth.

Liar.

You're one to talk.

Thor approached to say goodbye to his friends, and Fandral drew you to one side, away from the others.

"It has been a pleasure Lady Y/N, I hate to see you leave so soon..."

"I know, but my place is on Midgard, not here." you told him, not breaking eye contact and hoping that he would understand.

"I understand. Very well, safe travels." he said looking vaguely disappointed, kissing your hand yet again.

"Thank you, and I'm sorry..."

"No, no, that's all water under the bridge now." he said firmly waving his hand, as if it had happened longer ago than ten seconds.

You returned to the group, determinedly ignoring Loki's pointed looks and said goodbye to Volstagg and Hogun, asking that they say goodbye to Sif for you. No one said goodbye to Loki.

This time there were only two horses waiting for you, instead of three. The same thought flashed through both your and Loki's heads at exactly the same time, and you couldn't help but laugh, causing Thor to turn and frown in confusion.

"What?"

"Nothing."

Loki was smiling.

"Do you want to...?" he asked you, gesturing at the horse he had ridden when you arrived.

"I think that would probably be a good idea." you grinned, looking at Thor who was stood contemplating his horse unenthusiastically.

Loki swung himself up on to the horse, and then turned to offer you a hand to help you up behind him. You grabbed his arm and managed to seat yourself behind him on your first try without making too much of a fool of yourself, which you tried not to feel too smug about. Then you realised you didn't know where to put your hands.

Thor was slowly making his way to the top of his horse, and when he got there he had to have a rest, looking rather out of breath. Loki shook his head, turning the horse around to face the Bifrost and doing something with his feet to make it go forward. Trying and failing not to laugh at Thor, who did not look like a god of thunder in this moment, you were surprised by the movement and grabbed on to the thing nearest to you, which just so happened to be Loki.