Chapter 15

"You kissed her?" Wendy exclaimed in disbelief. Seulgi had told her about the previous day and how it was the best day of her life. However, her best friend seemed to think otherwise. "I can't believe you did that."

"I didn't have a choice, Wannie." Seulgi scrunched her face and smiled as she thought about that moment. "It was like this cute little thing that she believed I would stay alive if I kissed her. She kind of made a bet with life."

Wendy shook her head. "You know that's a stupid excuse."

"No it's not." Seulgi scoffed. "It was cute."

Wendy let out a sigh and got up from her seat. She walked towards the younger woman who was lying on the couch as she raised her finger and pointed it in her direction. "You're giving her hope for nothing." She said through gritted teeth.

Seulgi remained in the same position on the couch as her anger started to take over her moment of happiness. "Why can't you just be happy for me?" she looked up at her best friend who was standing right in front of her with fire in her eyes. "It was the best day of my life, Wan. It's the first time I've experienced something like this. It's the first time I fell in love. Let me enjoy that feeling for as long as I can."

Wendy brought her hands to her head and clenched her teeth. "How can you be so selfish? I lent you that car so the two of you could have a day to properly say goodbye to each other, not to make her feel like you're going to get married and live happily ever after!" She threw her hands in the air. "Did it ever occur to you that you're making her life worse than it already is?"

Seulgi jumped up from the couch with her anger rising as she pressed her finger against his chest. "Did it ever occur to you that maybe I am the one looking for the tiniest bit of hope?" she looked into Wendy's eyes and saw that her anger slowly turned into sympathy. She felt her eyes water as she opened her mouth to shout at him again. Instead, a shivery sigh escaped her lips as she broke down and let herself fall back on the couch, staring into space. "Ever since I met her, I am waiting for a miracle. Just one chance to stay with Irene. To make her happy for the rest of her life." She cried out. "I want to be her best friend when she needs a shoulder and her lover when she needs more. I want to be there for her in bad and good times. Forever."

Wendy's heart broke for the brunette as she watched her suffer. She desperately tried to think of the right words to say to her, but there was nothing. She never thought about it like this. Seulgi had always been so carefree about her approaching death. She had accepted it and lived by that thought. She never thought that meeting Irene would make her want to stay alive so desperately. "Seulgi, I.." She tried, but couldn't finish her sentence.

Seulgi stood up again, but refused to look at her. "I thought you were my best friend." she wiped her tears away. "I thought you'd understand without the need of me telling you." She finally looked up to meet her eyes again. "I can't believe you would actually think that I would deliberately want to hurt her." She turned around and walked towards the front door. She was disappointed. It wasn't only because Wendy hurt her feelings. It was because she knew he was right. She wanted to stay and run towards any light that appeared in her dark future, but she forgot that there was none. There is no hope. She should've known before hurting Irene. She should have known before being selfish and give her hope when she was looking for it herself. She knew Wendy was speaking the truth, but just couldn't bear to actually hear it from her.

"Seulgi, wait!" Wendy yelled. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to-"

"No!" Seulgi turned her head with disappointment clearly showing on her face. She wasn't sure whether the disappointment was meant for her or for herself. "You do not get to say sorry, because you know you're right and it will only make me feel more like shi-" She suddenly stopped talking as she brought her hand to her chest. Sweat drops slowly started sliding down her face as she gasped for oxygen and lost her strength. She reached out for anything close to lean onto, but nothing was near enough. She looked up at her best friend with bloodshot eyes for one last time before finally giving in and falling to her knees.