Prologue: The Trial*

Aylin Scott

  I looked up to see my mother being escorted in by the security guards. She sat down next to her lawyer and tugged on the handcuffs around her wrists.

   The judge took her seat behind the large wooden desk. "Bring in the jury pleasure arise." 

    The jury sat down and the judge looked ready to get this over with. This was the third day in a row I had to miss school to be in court.

    I wasn't exactly happy my mother was arrested. You see, my mother is somewhat of a drug addict. Four months ago she was caught by a cop trying to buy some meth from one of her suppliers. So that's how I got here.

     "Will the court please rise." I stood up and folded my arms over my chubby stomach. "Mr.Forman,have you agreed upon a verdict?" the judge asked moving her eyeglasses to the bridge of her nose.

       "Yes we have a verdict your honor."

        "What is  your say?"

        "We, the jury, find Irene Scott guilty on all charges."

    I closed my eyes tightly to keep the tears from falling. My mom might be messed up but I still loved her. I opened my eyes half hoping this was all a bad dream and I would wake up in our apartment on Main.

    I watched as they took my mom out of the courtroom. In the last moments before the door shut behind her, her grey eyes found mine. "I'm sorry," she mouthed. I looked away. I knew my grey eyes looked watery but I didn't really care anymore. My life was about to seriously start to suck.

-