Chapter 9: The Cool Kids Club*

Hey kiddies. I'll get straight to it.

-

Aylin Scott

   The death grip I held onto the stair railing with was enough to choke a grown man.

   My knuckles were turning white. I watched them, him yelling at her and her cowering. By the age of thirteen, I knew by now to stay upstairs and out of the way.

    Still, watching her in so much pain made my stomach turn. I obviously couldn't sleep with the yelling. I watched as he threw her to the floor and I heard her arm crack.

      I flinched and felt a single tear poor down my face. My bottom lip started to wobble.

      I crawled back to the top and curled up, rocking back and forth, hoping, wishing for someone to come save me from the misery.

       My body shook with silent sobs and my head hurt so badly. Then it all went dark.

   "Aylin! Aylin! Hey hey it's okay. You're safe." I felt hands touching my face.

      I opened my eyes to stare into his green ones. I let out a shuttering breath. "It's okay." He stroked my cheek with his thumb.

       "W-What t-time is i-it?" I asked sitting up shakily realizing quickly where I was.

      "Just after two am." He looked into my eyes with concern.

     I stood and saw that Amy and Wyatt were still passed out except now Wyatt was lying down with Amy lying partly on his chest.

       "You were whispering I'm sorry and you were crying...I wasn't sure what to do."

      He ran a hand through his hair. I shook my head walking towards the patio door and stepping out into the sandy beach Adrian following behind.

     I could feel him wanting to ask questions but he held back. I sat down on the sandy shore. I felt the wind rustle my hair.

     Adrian sat down next to me. "What's wrong?" he asked looking into my eyes. I just shook my head and gave him a small weary smile.

   "Nothing, just a bad dream."

-

    The rest of the day was awkward. I avoided Adrian like the plague. Amy watched me like a hawk, she could tell there was something between Adrian and I,  and Wyatt was totally oblivious.

     Adrian had no idea what the odd experience meant to and for me. But I wasn't about to tell him. It had been the first time in years I had been taken out of my bad dreams, saved.

    "Why don't we go to Costco? I mean we need to get stuff for the Bonfire tonight and I'm sure Adrian wants to stop by his house and get some clothes." Wyatt suggested as we sat on the patio, Amy fanning herself in a lawn chair in a bikini and me sitting in the hammock.

     Adrian was sitting by the pool with his legs in the water. He looked up and met my gaze. I immediately looked away.