Chapter 20: The Vengeance

Start from the beginning

"Sure Viv," Zyna nods her head in terror, with tears streaming down her face.

"Goodbye my dear," she finishes. "I really did like you best — out of all the others," she smiles, turning to walk from the house.

"JAXON!" Zyna screams, darting from the bed to kneel beside her only one. She touches his chest that's covered in blood, checking to see if he's breathing — he isn't. "Mo cheann, my love! Please!" she cries. Her tears fall upon his cooling skin. "I love you. Ná fág mé anseo liom féin."

Jaxon's form changes. The blood that covers both Zyna and the floor disappears, as he slowly coalesces into a cloud of shimmering smoke. Transforming again, into his pleasing shape. Taking a lung-full of air into his body, he screams, "Ahhhh.... Mother... frick-ing Humans!"

Zyna looks up in surprise, "Jaxon?!"

"Dammit... that HURT!"

Zyna exhales both her shock and her relief, "I-I thought you were dead," she says through her non-stop tears.

Reaching for Zyna and holding her in his arms, he whispers, "Mo gra, that woman was out for blood this time, because it felt like she killed me."

"Wait... this time?" she asks.

Quickly shirking her question, he says, "Uh... we need to check on my dad and Eddie." Getting up from the floor, Jax takes a step out of their newly placed bedroom, currently located in the dining room.

Zyna takes a second to grab her robe that's miraculously still on the bed.

Jax moves to check on Eddie. Feeling a pulse and finding a heartbeat he calls to Zyna, "She's alive and breathing."

Zyna runs over to them, asking, "What about your father?"

Making his way over to Cron, Jax starts shaking his father. "Dad!" he barks, "Dad, wake up!"

Cron opens his eyes, instantly reaching for his leg, questioning, "What in Holy Dione happen?"

"Zyrina's stepmother happened," Jax explains.

"Damn, that hurts!" he says, gripping his leg and looking at the blood on his hands.

"Tell me about it."

"Are you... naked?" Cron asks, looking in the opposite direction.

"I am. Yes."

"Eddie! Edina!" Zyna shouts, shaking her mother, who is out cold. "Jax, she's not waking up."

"If it's anything like last time, she'll probably be out for about a day," he mentions. Turning to his father, "Dad transform and suck it in. That woman has the Omega Essence; we have to go after her."

"I can't," Cron says. "Not in front of—"

"Oh, she knows," Jax insists.

"I know," Zyna confirms.

"Okay, excellent. Welcome to the family Zyrina."

"Thank you," she smiles with emotions behind her eyes.

"DAD?! Later," Jax demands. "What are we supposed to do about that woman?"

"The house is wrecked. With this level of destruction, the neighbors have probably called the cops—"

"While you're sitting here recapping the situation," Jax interrupts. "You're no doubt, bleeding to death."

"My point being, someone has to stay here and explain what happened when they show up. I'll be here to throw the cops off your trail while you go after her."

"I... WHAT?" he shouts. "You expect me to take that woman on my own?"

"You won't be alone, you'll have Zyrina."

"I don't want Zee getting hurt," he shouts.

"Zyrina is the only one who came out of this without a scratch," Cron points out. "That woman clearly won't hurt Zyrina."

Jax exhales aloud, "What are you going to do while we're gone?"

"I'll stay here and look after Eddie," he insists, still holding his leg "So, put on some clothes and go after her!"

"Okay but, heal the deeper layers," Jax recommends. "It will help reduce pain."

Cron immediately does so, stating, "Amazing, that really works."

"At this point, I'm an expert in the field."

"Son, make your way into the old Minos Mines," he instructs. "That's where she's going. It's just beyond the Tether Distribution Center."

"The Minos Mines has been blocked off, for over 200 years. After the cave in—"

"No. That was a cover story she made up, so no one would find it buried in the ice. The Novak family moved the ancient colony lander over top of that spot, to mark that space as a Historic Landmark. That way no one would question or go near it. After several generations, no one did."

"Huh."

"When she gets there. You must keep her talking for at least 15 minutes."

"Why's such a specific number?"

"This is coming from the Elders," Cron explains. "They've planned for this, believing this is our chance to end the situation once and for all. They want to put to use the one thing you're best at, distraction."

"I'm not sure if I should be insulted by that," Jax ponders, "It seems like I'm just giving her another opportunity to shoot me."

"Well, make sure not to get shot."

"I will do my best," he promises, calling to Zyna.

She walks over to them, asking, "How are we going to get past the reporters?"

Cron smirks, "You'll go underneath them?"

Jax and Zyna look at each other in confusion.