|♧|CONTEXT |♧|

◾▫◾▫◾▫◾▫◾▫◾▫◾▫◾▫◾▫◾▫◾▫◾

This is long awaited lol. I'm going to cover the basics of the world we are set in (as I probably should have done a while ago wHOOPS).

1. IS IT SET IN THE REAL WORLD?
Yes and no. I like to imagine Demaranta and Medicium were both discovered as well as other areas of the world like Europe and Africa and Asia. Where, roughly, would it be? I actually hadn't thought about this beforehand but probably in an area in a Scandinavian country. Norway, Finland, that sort of thing. They wouldn't have the accents though, as it is a colony of sorts. Travellers discovered the land so its a melting pot of different people. The original king was however of British descent(you know how the British like to invade places) so that accent is seen as a main one. This explains everything else such as...

2. THE ARCHITECTURE/THE AESTHETIC
Yes, this is set roughly in the 1800s but these two nations are both a bit behind both in their technology and in their political systems. That's not what we're discussing though, as the architecture has medieval influences from the first settlers and more modern influences from immigrants. It really depends on the house/village. The castle is very medieval as are its defenses. No guns. They never needed them as they were able to harvest old magical plants to create potions and enrich their weapons. This is becoming less reliable though. There aren't as mamy plants as there once was.

3. WHAT ABOUT POLITICS?
If we look at real world history, even as the rest of the world was evolving, Russia had an autocratic system right through into the 1900s. It was an absolute monarchy. This is the same as both Mendacium and Demaranta. The Queen has advisors and a provisional government but given that there is an enabling act (law passed to allow the leader to pass laws without consulting anyone, basically making them a dictator), it doesn't count for very much at all.

4. RELIGION?
Religion is....a hot topic in Mendacium. It's faded quicker here than anywhere else in the world at that time. On one side, witches have enabled them to grow quickly as a nation while being condemned by the Bible, drawing it to question. On the other, the nation is made up of all sorts of people with so many different religions. There is no one national religion. Either way, it does not play a big role in the everyday. Some of its...less favourable teachings have been engrained already such as homosexuality being a sin. Here it's less of a sin and more of...an uncomfortable and alternative way of life. Nobody will outright condemn you but they'll not be supportive.

5. CULTURE/EMTERTAINMENT/STYLE
Possibly the most boring but most needed section. Lets to a quickfire shall we?

Music: played live, no radio or records or cds, no modern instruments. Not to be biased to my heritage but the style of music in Mendacium is Irish Traditional Music (which slaps way harder than usa country music bs)
Movies: no
Books: everything up until about 1870 gets a pass
Sports: ehhhh not professional
Theatre: see the book rule