Chapter three

Ash and the others sat in the waiting room a bit anxiously. Talk about a weird morning.

Once they had made it to the Pokémon center, Nurse Joy and Wigglytuff had taken James to one of the back rooms, where they treat the more serious cases of people and Pokémon. That had been about five minutes ago. Ash wondered what was taking so long in her diagnosis and treatment for James.

Nurse Joy came back to the heroes after about another half hour of waiting. Ash looked up in anticipation, as did the others. They hadn't had to wait in the Pokémon center for this long since Bunnelby had fallen off of a cliff while trying to protect Bonnie.

"Well?" Ash asked, seeing Nurse Joy's worried face as she faced the heroes. "What happened? How is he?"

"He's recovering fine." Nurse Joy said. "You all found him in the nick of time. If another Pokémon were to find him and attack out of fear, he would be in much worse condition than he is now. But..." she looked like a combination of both concerned and confused. "I don't think that this is an ordinary blast-off like you say usually happens to him. I think that this was a genuine Pokémon attack, and a hyper beam at that."

Clemont gasped, causing the other three and nurse Joy to turn to his direction. Adjusting his glasses, he said, "but...hyper beam is TM15. That can only be taught to a Pokémon if it has a trainer."

Serena gasped. "You mean a trainer did that to James? Doesn't everyone know the seriosity of damage a Pokémon move can do to a person?"

"Do ya think that Jessie got mad at James and had Gorgeist or Wobbuffet fire a hyper beam at him?" Bonnie asked. 

"It's highly unlikely." Nurse Joy answered. "Wobbuffet can't learn Hyper beam, and although Gorgeist can, doesn't Jessie usually have it use shadow ball or something like that?"

"She's right." Clemont recalled. "Jessie would always use Shadow ball or another ghost-type move when she battled us. It doesn't make sense why she would use hyper beam all of a sudden."

"Which begs the question again, where is Jessie?" Ash asked. "Jessie, James, and Meowth are always with each other. You never see one without the other two."

"And come to think of it, I don't remember seeing any pokéballs on James's belt, either." Clemont pointed out. "Doesn't he usually have his inkay's pokéball on his belt?"

"This day is getting weirder by the moment." Ash said, shaking his head. They sat there in silence for a few moments before hearing a sort of yell from the back room. One that could only come from a certain team rocket member.

"Looks like we'll get our answers, soon. It sounds like James is awake." Serena said, and the five of them raced to the back room to where James was, laying in a recovery bed and freaking out, while wigglytuff was trying to calm him down.

Clearly stressed out by the sudden panic, Nurse Joy seemed to realize that they weren't going to be able to calm James down with just words. Handing the heroes pairs of earmuffs and equipping some herself, she yelled, "WIGGLYTUFF, USE SING!!!!"

Wigglytuff stopped what it was doing and began to sing. Even with his earmuffs on, Ash felt a bit drowsy at hearing Wigglytuff's soft sweet voice.

"Wiiiiiiiigg-lytuffffff, wigg-a-lyyyyyyyy-tuuuuuuuff."

Within seconds, James was drowsy, and nearly asleep.

Wigglytuff stopped singing, and the heroes and Nurse Joy removed their earmuffs. Walking towards James slowly, Nurse Joy looked at him and said, "I'm glad you're awake. Are you feeling better?"

Moaning and rubbing his head as he sat up slowly this time, James was much more calm as he answered, "I suppose." He looked at Nurse Joy with a bit of confusion. "How did I get here? The last thing I remember was blasting off after..." he suddenly broke his calm state as his eyes grew wide, and he looked more afraid than Ash had ever seen him. "Ellie." He said. "Giovanni, he...he has Ellie." He then looked around. "And where's Jessie?! Please tell me you found Jessie, too!!!!"

"Um..." Nurse Joy began, a bit taken aback by James's sudden outburst. "I'm not the one to ask." She stepped to the side, revealing Ash and the others. "They were the ones who found you and brought you here."

When James saw the heroes, his face was a mix of shock and still, fear.

"You?!"

"It's good to see you, too, James." Serena replied. "What do you mean, Giovanni has someone? Who's Ellie? Where are Jessie and Meowth? What do you remember happening before you woke up here?"

James sighed. By now he was sitting up. "You may want to get comfortable where you're standing." He said. "This may take a while to explain."