Chapter one

James sat in fear as the house began to shake. He looked over at Jessie, who clearly had the same idea going through her head. The ground shook every so often, as if either a Pokémon was ramming itself into the side of their house, or some massive machine was coming. This was more than just an earthquake.

The dangerously calm voice of Giovanni rang out from all directions, as if he were speaking into a dozen megaphones.

"Jessie..." he said in a singsong voice. "James..." James felt the hair on the back of his neck stand on end. "You know the rules." Came the voice of their boss once again. "And you broke them. So now, I take what is mine."

James remembered what had happened to his coworkers that had kept a secret from Team Rocket. And he knew what would happen if he and Jessie didn't do something, and fast.

Walking towards his wife, James got down to his knees, as if being lower to the ground would lessen the chances of Giovanni hearing them. Jessie joined him on the floor, before James began to talk.

"We've got to get out of here." He said. "And we've got to keep Ellie away from him. Who knows what will happen if he finds her." Jessie nodded.

"Do you have a plan?" She asked. He shook his head.

"I didn't think that this day would ever come." He admitted. "I thought that we were secretive enough, how did he even find out?" He put his hand through his hair stressfully, before shaking his head, trying to focus. "We can't think about that. We need to focus on escaping safely. Let's see, we can't take the balloon, that's Team Rocket property. We'd get spotted or tracked easily."

"The same goes for any of our other transportation devices." Jessie pointed out. "We may have to split up." James looked at Jessie as if she were crazy, but nodded.

"I'd rather split up and know that you two were safe than all of us get caught together and suffer the consequences."

"James." Jessie said, looking him dead in the eye. James had never seen her so serious. "You need to be the one to take Ellie and run."

"What?!" James asked, flabbergasted. "No way!! If you got caught, who knows what they'll do to you for abusing the code!!!"

"I'm more likely to be the one to have her. You know this. It's more likely for me to try and get away with her safely. We both know that they'll go after me first." She took a deep breath. "Which is why you need to be the one to get her away safely. Don't worry." She seemed to have a mischievous gleam in her eye. "I have a way to take care of myself. There's not much Giovanni can do to me just because we broke the code." She winced as the banging and rumbling got louder and bigger. "I'll see you soon, I promise." She said, putting up an arm as if she were about to arm wrestle him. "Now," she began. "Prepare for trouble?"

James smiled. He didn't know how this would work out, but he knew that Jessie knew how to defend herself. If they stuck to her plan, they all should be fine. "And make it double." He replied, taking her hand and squeezing it tight before they both stood up.

"I'll get Meowth and Wobbuffet and head off in the direction of Snowbelle city. You take Ellie and go towards Lumiose. Ash and his friends may go back there since Clemont is the gym leader. We could use their help. If not, explain the situation to Clemont's father. I'm sure he'll understand." She looked back at James one more time, smiling, before she ran off in the direction of where Meowth and Wobbuffet were napping.

James ran in the opposite direction, towards Ellie's room. Shoving open the door, he was relieved to see her hiding under her bed and covering her ears.

"Daddy," she said, seeing James. "What's going on? Do you know that guy that's yelling? Where's Mama?"

"Unfortunately, yes." James answered as Ellie crawled out from under her bed. James lifted her from the floor, thinking about how to explain this. "We did something wrong. Now we're in danger. Mama's going to get Meowth and Wobbuffet. We're gonna head to Lumiose city. She'll meet up with us once we get there. We'll be safe there."