Thought Five. - A name to the eyes.

Start from the beginning

“He sounds like quite the catch… But I don’t think that I have ever seen anyone that matches your description, in here. But what did you mean, by looked right through you?” She says, twirling a piece of her hair between her fingers.

“Well, uh… He was looking for someone named, Embrie. And I was practically standing in front of him. When Kirk, the guy whose house I was at, told him I was right there, he just laughed and walked away. He couldn’t see me. “ I roll my eyes at myself. “At least that’s what it seemed like. Obviously he could see me.”

“Hmm… Very interesting, very interesting indeed.”  She turns around, and looks behind her at the clock hanging on the wall. “Well, it seems that I should be going now. I’m not going to waste any time training you, because well, you’re a smart girl! All you have to do is assist customers, and work the till. When you are done your shift at nine, just turn off the lights, and close up with this key.” She hands me a small key, which I take from her and pocket.

“You’re so trusting.” I blurt out, before I even realize what I’m saying.

She smiles at this.

“You are trustworthy.” She quickly replies.

“How exactly do you know that? I mean, I’m not denying it… But you just seem so sure...” 

“Let’s just say, that I am good at reading people.” She then winks at me, and chuckles. I don’t exactly know how to take her in. She’s so peculiar, and happy and just so… know – all. 

How does one take all of that in?

“I’m off! Have a good evening, and see you tomorrow! Same time, same place!” And she’s out the door before I can even blink.

I shake my head in amusement, and bewilderment.

No training?

Okay then… I guess it can’t be that hard to run a shop by myself, with no experience whatsoever.

Ha.

Only five and a half hours to go, and I’m home free.

Until tomorrow.

I take a seat behind the counter, and look over the buttons on the till. It doesn’t seem too complicated. I mean, numbers, costumes… everything is labeled. I can do this. No need to worry.

My leg vibrates, and I realize that my phone is still in my pant pocket. Taking it out, I look at the screen to see Blake’s number.

Ugh.

            He has been trying to get a hold of me all weekend since Saturday night. He even tried to catch me in the halls at school today, but I couldn’t face him. Call me a coward, but I’m a total coward. I have no idea as to how I should react around him, and I’m absolutely terrified by the idea of how my body will betray me. I can just see myself now, quivering in anxiety and blurting out some kind of unnecessary ramble in his face.