❝ CHAPTER 7 ❞

▌Chapter 7 ─ I Promise ▌

Chapter 7 ─ I Promise

━━━━━ IRIS STARED AT her grandfather, tears still falling down her face, Marta also had tears falling down her face.

"I know I've missed something. There's gonna be something I missed." Harlan told the two.

"Harlan." Marta called out.

"But I know you both can do this."

"No, I can't." Marta said while Iris couldn't really think of anything to say. He placed his hand on the doorknob, turning it and opening it for the two.

"Without losing your soul, you have to do what you have to do..."

"No." Marta said as he pushed them past the red and green door.

"To beat this and win. You both will need to take care of each other." Harlan said, looking between his granddaughter and Marta.

"Harlan, I can't."

"You can. And you have to."

"No."

"For me. Right now!"

The two stood outside as Harlan closed the door on them. Marta reached down to Iris's hand grabbing it and holding it in hers. Iris squeezed her hand tightly not wanting to let go. The two feared what he was going to do.

However, they did start to turn around ready to walk down the steps and follow through with the plan that Harlan had given them. Marta was breathing heavily while Iris kept looking back at the door.

"I can't do this." Iris said she wanted to go back into the room to talk to her grandfather.

Marta disconnected her hand from Iris, turning around she placed her hand on the doorknob turning it and opening the door. She pushed back into the room with Iris right next to her.

"Harlan, I have to get you help." Marta said, as the two looked at him. They both gasped upon the scene that they were looking at.

"You do as I say and everything will be just fine." Harlan told the two, holding the knife to his neck.

"No. No." Marta breathed out.

"Please." Iris bagged a few more tears streaming down her face.

"I promise."

"But..."

The two went to walk forward however Harlan pulled the knife across his neck, blood dripping onto his clothes. The two gasped, Marta grabbed Iris and pulled her out of the room. Closing the door behind them they both sat on the steps.

Both Marta and Iris held their hands over their mouths crying quietly hoping no one heard them. Iris then removed her hand from her mouth, lowering her head as more tears fell down her face. The two were completely silent as they calmed down.

Marta stood up, holding her hand out to Iris. The brunette looked up at Marta, she placed her hand in Marta's. They moved down the first set of stairs coming to a stop. Marta went into the room grabbing her coat and scarf.

Iris proceeded to wipe the tears away from her face, she really hoped that Walt wouldn't see that she had been crying of course he never really picked up on that kind of thing. Her mother would've and she was happy that she was asleep.

Marta came back out of the room looking at Iris, she grabbed a hold of her and pulled her into a tight comforting hug. Iris gladly accepted it, hugging her back. The two pulled apart from the hug and stared at each other.

"We can do this, right?" Iris asked her, needing to hear some kind of comforting words from Marta.

"Yes we can do this. We just have to follow what Harlan told us to do. We do that and everything will be fine." Marta replied.

"Okay. This probably isn't the best time to bring it up but I don't know when it will. I'm not marrying Fred."

"What?"

"I can't marry him, he wants me for my money and he doesn't love me. I love someone else, someone whom I'm not entirely sure loves me." Iris said, soon looking down at her lips.

"I never really liked him. But, you know I will support whatever decision you decide on."

Iris nodded her head in response, before anything else could be said between the two Marta placed her hands on Iris's neck. Then she closed the space between them and placed her lips on Iris's.

Sparks flew everywhere for the both of them as they kissed each other. It was something long overdue even if it wasn't the right timing. Both Iris and Marta smiled into the kiss, making it sweeter and one to remember.

They pulled apart breathing heavily as they looked each other in the eyes. Both now had smiles resting on their lips.

"That was long overdue." Iris breathed out.

"Yes, it was. We should um... go now." Marta replied, smiling at her.

Iris nodded her head, the two walked down the steps as loud as they possibly could. "Walt, I'm leaving." Marta called out from inside the house. Iris walked with her as Walt looked to see his niece and Marta walk out of the house. "God, it's midnight already."

"Goodnight Marta." Iris called out stopping at the steps as Marta walked past her. Walt looked down at the watch on his hand.

"Goodnight Iris." Marta replied, walking down the steps heading over to her car. Iris stayed, watching Marta climb into her car. Once she turned the car on and drove down the driveway. Iris turned slightly to her Uncle.

"Goodnight Uncle Walt. Jacob." Iris called out looking between the two.

She walked back into the house leaving them on the porch, she walked down the hallway heading to her room. She closed the door slightly, looking out towards the steps. Minutes later she saw Marta slowly walking down the steps.

"Dad? Go back to bed." Walt called out looking through the glazed window.

She smiled, turning around. She closed her door, she knew Fred wouldn't be coming back any time soon and she would tell the police her side of the story.