❝ CHAPTER 2 ❞

▌Chapter 2 ─ Questions ▌

Chapter 2 ─ Questions

━━━━━ IRIS SAT NEXT to Marta as they awaited to be called in one by one. Linda sat in the chair across from Lieutenant Elliott, while Trooper Wagner stood not far from him.

"We're just gonna reintroduce ourselves as a formality. I am Detective Lieutenant Elliott, and this is Trooper Wagner. Now, I'm going to record this just to make things easier." He spoke, while pulling out his phone to record the next few conversations that would take place throughout the day.

"All right, we're with Linda Drysdale, née Thormbey, Harlan Thormbey's eldest daughter, in discussing the events that took place the night of his demise, one week ago, November 8th." Elliott said, messing around with his pen.

Wagner leaned forward slightly with his eyes on Linda, "we're very sorry for your loss." Wagner said, earning a look from Elliott.

"Thank you. That means a lot." Linda replied, sadness evident in her voice.

"So, we understand at that night the family had gathered to celebrate your father's 85th birthday." Elliott said, looking down at his notes.

"Yes." Linda replied, with a nod of her head.

"How was it?" He went on to question.

"The party? Pre my dad's death? It was great." Linda informed him, speaking the simple sentences, keeping them short and to the point.

"Did anyone besides the family show face?" Elliott went on to ask the older woman.

"Fran, the housekeeper. Marta, Harlan's caregiver, good girl, hard worker. Family's from Ecuador. Fred, Iris's gold digging fiancé. And Wanetta ─ Greatnana, Harlan's mom." Linda spoke, not regretting the words she used for Fred.

"His mom? How old is she?" Elliott questioned her shock to even hear those words.

"We have no idea." The older woman responded, watching Elliott look back down at his notes for a brief second.

"Okay, and your son Ransom, did he attend as well?"

"Yes, but he left early."

In the back near the piano sat Detective Benoit Blanc, he lifted his hand pressing down on a key that rested on the piano. Linda looked back at the man, wondering why he was here to begin with.

"Right, would you say that all three of you showed up around the same time?" Elliott questioned her.

"No." Linda dragged out, with her eyes still on Benoit. "Richard came early to help the caterers set up."

"Okay, and you and your husband Richard work at a real estate firm in Boston?"

"No, it's my company." Linda said, holding her finger out and pointing to herself.