❝ CHAPTER 5 ❞

▌Chapter 5 ─ Messed Up ▌

Chapter 5 ─ Messed Up

      ━━━━━ IRIS WALKED OUT of the room, her eyes fell onto Marta who picked herself up from the chair. Iris watched Marta walk into the room leaving her behind, Marta walked into the room sitting down in the same chair that everyone before her had been sitting in.

"Miss Cabrera, um... We kept you waiting all afternoon, because I wanted to hear from you last. I needed an entire picture of the evening in my head, and your piece of it is at its very center. So, please take your time. You took Mr. Thrombey upstairs at 11:30 and left at midnight. Think very carefully and with as much detail as possible. Tell us what happened in that half hour?" Benoit said, staring at her as he flipped his coin up.

Marta remembered back to that night, she and Iris were following behind Harlan. "Up, up, up, I got it." Harlan said, moving into the steps.

"Yeah, you got it?" Marta questioned him, a smile resting on her face.

He continued to repeat himself while Marta began to walk towards his room, Iris stood near the first set of steps, a bright smile resting on her lips as she watched the two interact with each other. Iris followed behind her grandfather, while Marta walked into his room grabbing his medical bag.

"No, second thoughts." Harlan said as he walked into the room setting up the Go board. Marta stomped up the steps with the medical bag in her hands.

"No. No, no, no, no." Marta told him.

"Get up here!" Harlan told her.

"I had a glass of champagne. Harlan, listen to me." Marta said, closing the door with her elbow. Iris chuckled softly, pulling a chair over and sitting in it.

"We are..." Iris looked back and forth between the two as they playfully argued with each other. "It's late. I had..." Iris placed her eyes on Marta giving her a soft but stern look.

"You've only had one glass." Iris reminded her.

"Exactly. A glass of champagne. Why are you encouraging him? I don't..." Marta went on to explain, she placed the medical bag on one of the tables that rested in the attic room.

"We are not breaking tradition on my birthday! Tell her Ris." Harlan said, looking between Marta and his granddaughter.

"Can you just take your goddamn medicine and go to bed?" Marta asked him.

"If you're gonna put that vile shit in me, you have to earn it. On my birthday. Eighty-fifth birthday." Harlan said, Marta lifted her hands up.

"Oh, god. Fine. Jesus!" Marta said walking over to Iris, she sat down in the chair pulling it closer to the board game.

"I'm so old." Harlan spoke, moving himself around in his chair.

"You really love drama, huh?" Marta questioned him.