Chapter Nineteen-Accords

"Five years ago, I had a heart attack. I dropped right in the middle of my back-swing. Turned out it was the best round of my life, because after 13 hours of surgery and a triple bypass . . . I found something 40 years in the Army had never taught me: Perspective. The world owes the Avengers an un-payable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives . . . but while a great many people see you as heroes, there are some . . . who would prefer the word "vigilantes"" Secretary Ross explained standing by the table we were all sat at.
"And what word would you use, mr secretary?" Natasha asked as I looked up, meeting her eyes.

It had been a few months since Ultron, since half of the team disbanded. Now myself, Natasha, Steve, Tony, Rhodey, Sam, Vision and Wanda were gathered around the table listening to what secretary Ross was proposing. It must've been serious to get Tony back.
"How about "dangerous"? What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose and who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind?" Ross sarcastically remarked.
Anyone could tell that he doesn't like us at all of any 'enhanced individuals'. He clicked a few buttons showing video clips from past missions, the damage that wasn't taken care of. Broken builds, dead bodies, scared citizens were all shown. Each of us felt guilty, since that was never what we wanted.
"Okay, that's enough" Cap intervened as the images were turned off.

"For the past four years, you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate. But I think we have a solution" Ross said as he slid a file over to Wanda.
Wanda looked through it and passed it to Rhodey so he could look. So this was what he wanted. A solution to our chaos.
"The Sokovia Accords. Approved by 117 countries . . . it states that the Avengers shall no longer be a private organization. Instead, they'll operate under the supervision of a United Nations panel, only when and if that panel deems it necessary" he furthered explained.
"The avengers were formed to make the world a safer place: I believe we've done that" Cap remarked, clearly not happy about the proposition.
Everyone else was quiet, waiting for what would happen.

"Tell me, Captain, do you know where Thor and Banner are right now?" Ross pushed, Steve looking up to meet the secretary's eyes.
It was a daring question to ask, considering the answer was no which further proved the world's point. After the damage Hulk caused after going a bit wild, he was a danger which honestly needed contained.
"If I misplaced a couple of 30 megaton nukes . . . you can bet there'd be consequences. Compromise. Reassurance. That's how the world works. Believe me, this is the middle ground" Ross continued, and he made valid points.
"So there are contingencies" Rhodey remarked, glancing up at the man.
"Three days from now, the UN meets in Vienna to ratify the Accords"
I watched as Steve looked over at Tony, the latter avoiding the Cap's eyes. I knew how bad Tony about all the damage he'd caused in the past.

"Talk it over" Secretary Ross said, watching us all with a distasteful look.
"And if we come to a decision you don't like?" Natasha asked from next to me.
"Then you retire" Ross replied before he left the room, leaving the file for us to make a decision over.
We all took turns reading the files before an inevitable argument broke out. Rhodey and Sam were arguing as Tony went and lay across the couch to think. It was an ultimatum, we either follow the rules or it's over.
"Tony. You're being uncharacteristically non-hyper-verbal" Natasha's voice rang out, snapping me out of my thoughts.
"It's because he's already made up his mind" Steve said, a bitter distaste to his tone.
"Boy you know me so well," Tony remarked as he sat up and rubbed his neck, "actually I'm nursing an electromagnetic headache"

We all watched as Tony stood up, moving to get a coffee and painkillers. He then moved on to talk about a kid, Charles Spencer. Stark went on to explain that about how he was building homes in Sokovia and was killed during our fight. Guilt settled deeply within me at the fact this kid didn't get to live his life. Because of us.
"Tony, someone dies on your watch, you don't give up" Steve argued.
"Who said we're giving up?" Tony retorted.
"We are if we're not taking responsibility for our actions. This document just shifts the blames" Steve carries on.
"I'm sorry. Steve. That - that is dangerously arrogant. This is the United Nations we're talking about. It's not the World Security Council, it's not SHIELD, it's not HYDRA" Rhodey spoke up.

They carried on arguing, giving me a throbbing headache.
"You're saying they'll come for me," Wanda spoke up for the first time, "for us"
Her eyes connected to mine, worry flickering in them. She was right, we were enhanced. People like Tony, Natasha and hell even Steve weren't seen as as much of a threat compared to us. Steve was enhanced but not a danger like we were deemed.
"We would protect you" Vision said.
"Maybe Tony's right" Natasha spoke up.
"Which part?" I asked, raising my eyebrow at the assassin.
"Signing this now," she started as Tony looked shocked, "if we have one hand on the wheel, we can steer. If we take it off-"
"Aren't you the same woman who told the government to kiss her ass a few years ago?" Sam cut her off as I stared off, a little annoyed.

Would she just do what the government asked? Let them do what they liked with us who were enhanced. Myself, Wanda, my brother, my niece? No doubt something genetic would be passed onto her. 
"I'm just . . . I'm reading the terrain. We have made . . . some very public mistakes. We need to win their trust back" She tripped up, clearly regretting her choice of words to me previously. 
"Focus up. I'm sorry, did I just mishear you or did you agree with me?" Tony questioned incredulously as Natasha shrugged. 
"Oh i want to take it back now" she murmured with a small smile as Tony rolled his eyes. 
"No, no, no. You can't retract it. Thank you. Unprecedented. Okay, case closed--I win" Tony boasted. 
I couldn't help but roll my eyes at him, taking a serious situation and making it fun. But then again, that was his defence. 
"I've got to go" Steve mumbled before he left the room in a rush,dropping the accords on the table. 

After a few minutes of more arguing, mainly between Rhodey and Sam, i slipped out of the room. The arguments gave me and a headache and span my already spun mind. I agreed with Tony, especially after the story he told about that young man who died because of use. We were reckless, we needed control. At least the world wouldn't hate us so much. But the way Natasha said it, it sounded like she wouldn't defend me. If it was the other way around, i would risk my life to make sure the government could never control her the way they want to do to enhanced people. 

"Hey" I heard a voice as i lent over a railing looking outside. 
Turning my head slightly, in my peripheral vision i saw Natasha standing a little away from me. 
"Hey" I replied shortly, looking out over the trees that surrounded the compound. 
"You know what i said...i didn't mean it like i wouldn't defend you. I love you, i was just a little frustrated from the arguing" She said, stepping closer cautiously.
I sighed, running my hands over my face in annoyance. This would definitely break the avengers, that was guaranteed. Sides could already been seen forming, there would just have to be a final push.
"I know, i know," I brushed off, "Its just a hard situation" 
"It is," Nat began as she stepped closer again, "but we've gone through worse"
I smiled slightly, sighing in content as her arm wrapped around my waist. I lent my head against her shoulder, enjoying the calm before the storm. 

"Why did Cap leave in such a rush?" I questioned, changing the topic. 
"Peggy Carter died" She whispered solemnly. 
I remembered bits about her, vaguely. She worked for shield and was Steve's first and only love back in the 1940's. She had been a valuable asset to shield and was praised highly. I'm sure she would be missed. 
"Poor Steve. The last thing from his past life" I responded, frowning slightly. 
Natasha agreed, falling silent for a few minutes before she asked the inevitable question that everyone needed to answer. 
"Where do you stand with the accords?" She questioned, tightening her grip slightly in fear. 
"I mean...i'm all for it. We're destructive, we need guidance and control" i shrugged. 
Nat sighed in relief, gripping my chin and gently tilting it to bring her into a kiss. I melted into the kiss, turning towards her and wrapping my arms around her neck. 
"Whatever happens, i'll be by your side" she whispered against my lips between kisses.