Chapter Fourteen-Safehouse

Everything was quiet. Far too quiet for the avengers. Four out of the seven had been hit, hard. I tried comforting Natasha but she was so shaken up and distant that she didn't want it. I left her in her thoughts to sit with Clint and Tony at the front. We were the only ones with level heads at the minute, not experiencing Wanda's visions. Though Tony did earlier so I'd safely say myself and Clint were the best off.

Bruce looked in the worst condition, probably from the aftermath. He was shivering, sweating and mumbling. He wrapped the blanket tighter around himself as Maria Hill talked about Bruce like he wasn't there.
"There's been no official call for banners arrest but it's in the air" she stated.
"Stark relief foundation?" Tony asked.
"Already on the scene. How's the team?" She asked.
"We...took a hit. We'll shake it off" Tony said apprehensively.
"For now I'd stay in stealth mode and stay away from here," she advised as I absentmindedly nodded, "until we find ultron I don't have a lot more to offer"
"Neither do we" Tony said.

I sent Tony a reassuring smile, moving next to him.
"I'm not gonna bullshit you and say it's all going to work out," I whispered so the team didn't hear (though they weren't listening much anyway),"but whatever happens, we'll either win or fail as a team"
Tony moves his arm over my shoulder, lingering where my bandage was.
"You sound like cap, but I'm glad to have you being somewhat supportive" he mumbled in my ear as I shot him a glare.
"Yeah, yeah whatever" I grumbled.

Time Skip
"What is this place?" Thor questioned as we walked up to the little farm house.
This was Clint's family home. He was at the front, supporting Natasha. I knew she was just blocking me out so I didn't see her as weak, but I so just wished she'd let me in. Even a little.
"Safehouse?" Tony offered, confused.
We walked in, myself behind the pair.
"Honey? I'm home" Clint said as Laura came into view.
A very pregnant Laura.
"I brought company. Sorry I didn't call ahead" he said as she kissed his cheek.

"This is an agent of some kind" Tony said, so confused and not used to being out of the loop.
"Gentlemen, this is Laura" Clint said as he hooked his arm around her waist.
"I know all your names" she said nervously.
"I'm coming," Clint said as the kids came and hugged him, "hey sweetheart, bud" he mumbled.
"These are smaller agents" Tony carried on as I rolled my eyes.
When was I going to know she was pregnant again?
"Did you bring auntie Nat?" Lila asked as Nat stepped forward.
"Why don't you hug her and find out?" She asked, picking up the sweet little girl.

I knew the kids when they were younger, many years ago. I highly doubt they'd remember me.
"Sorry for barging in" Steve apologised.
"Yeah we were too busy not knowing you existed," Tony sarcastically remarked, "did you know?" He asked, directing his question to me.
"I did. What? Are you upset you didn't know?" I teased.
"Anyways, fury helped me set this up when I joined. I kept it off shields files and I'd like to keep it at that way" he said, dropping the hint to keep quiet.

I watched Thor stand on some Lego as he sent a weary glance to myself and Steve.
"I've missed you" Laura said to Nat.
"How's little Natasha?" Nat asked, feeling the baby bump as Thor kicked the Lego under a chair.
I shook my head, disappointed at the god of thunder.
"She's...Nathaniel" Laura said as Nat leant down and mumbled traitor.
I smiled, seeing her finally become normal after that hard mission.

I noticed Lila looking up at Thor before he left the room, Steve following. I looked after them, not wanting to follow. They need time, they all do.
"And Everlyn...I haven't seen you in years" Laura said as she embraced me in a side hug.
"Neither, I can't believe nobody told me you were pregnant" I said as she laughed.
"I thought he would've told you" she said, playfully glaring at her husband as he held his hands up in surrender.

Time Skip
"I didn't realise you were waiting" I mumbled as I stepped out of the room to see Nat waiting on the bed in a robe.
"I should've gotten in with you" she teased, trying to ease the tension.
"I just used the last of the hot water so" I trained off as she smiled faintly.
"Definitely should've gotten in" she replied as I moved out of the bathroom doorway and into the room.
I could see Steve and Tony, chopping wood outside and clearly arguing. Perfect.

"I had this dream, you know the kind that seems normally at the time? But then you wake" she said suddenly.
I turned, looking at her carefully.
"What did you dream?" I questioned.
"I was an avenger...anything more than the assassin they made me" she said, swallowing thickly at the end.
I could see she was starting to break a little more with every second, I just needed a few more seconds to fully understand her feelings.
"You're being hard on yourself" I told her as she nodded and stepped forward.
"Here I thought that was your job" she teased breathlessly, moving forward to rest her arms on my shoulders.

Although she looked so hot, I thought about the matter at hand. She can't get away from this by seducing me.
"What're you doing?" I questioned softly, her lips inches from mine.
"Going with it" she whispered as I moved away.
"Natasha, what you saw...what I saw happen to you, we can't just blow it off" I told her as she nodded, looking away.
"I know..." she mumbled, tears filing her eyes but not spilling over.
She was scared...vulnerable. It was so unlike Nat that I didn't even recognise the expression on her face but that was certainly it.

"Just tell me what she made you see" I pleaded.
"The red room-...the training, the mindless games, the sterilisation. Making us more efficient..." she stuttered, trying so hard to make sure she didn't cry.
I stepped forward, bringing her into an embrace.
"You don't need to do this alone Nat. They can't hurt you now, you know that дорогой (darling)" I mumbled into her hair as she nodded.
I felt her tears and hot cheeks against my bare shoulder as I rubbed her back.
"When we finish this, we're taking a much needed break" I mumbled into her hair as she nodded, silently agreeing.