Chapter Fourteen

"Alright, I think it's time for a break," Noah said, standing up and rubbing his hands on his jeans. "We need food. And lots of it."

"Of course," Eden agreed, standing up quickly. "Please, everyone, make yourselves comfortable. Sit out on the deck if you like. We'll start getting some dinner served."

"Is there anything we can do to help?" Judy asked.

"Absolutely not," Noah answered. "You're our guests. Please. Everyone just take a few moments to process what we've gone through tonight. We'll get some dinner sorted out."

As soon as Eden and Noah left the room, a deafening silence fell.

Judy and George were watching Lilith with frightened anticipation until Judy couldn't take it anymore. She quickly crossed the room and sat on the coffee table in front of her daughter. She looked into Lilith's eyes and waited.

"You should've told me," Lilith said, barely whispering.

"I know, sweetheart," Judy replied, her body tense. She wanted to hug her daughter, Lucy could feel it, but she was waiting for Lilith to give her permission.

She didn't need it. Lilith reached out and put her arms around her mother. Judy dissolved into tears. "I'm so sorry," she said, sobbing into her daughter's shoulders.

Riley stood up and crossed the room. He walked out to the deck and stared out across the water. Poppy looked at Daniel and they followed. He was still angry, and he argued with them for a while. Eventually, they seemed to come to a quiet understanding.

Scarlett remained seated, looking concerned. Lucy gave her a small wave and smiled. "Don't worry," Lucy mouthed silently. "We're fine."

Scarlett smiled back, her expression relaxing. She nodded once and turned to talk to Sarah.

Only then did the tension in Lucy's body start to fade. Tristan had slumped back into his seat beside her with a sigh.

Jared took Rachel by the hand and they walked out to the deck and sat by the fire, but not before Rachel gave Lucy a hug. "We're not going to let anything happen to you," she whispered, stifling a sob.

"I know," Lucy replied, watching them as they walked away.

She laid back next to Tristan.

"That was intense," he said. "Are you okay?"

Lucy shifted her head so she was looking at him. "Yeah, I'll be fine."

He patted her on the leg. "Rachel's right, you know. We're going to take care of you." He smiled at her and Lucy felt her heart jump.

She tried to laugh, but she was so exhausted that it came out as a puff of air. "I can't even think about that right now," she replied. "I'm so tired."

Tristan twisted in his spot, resting his arm on the back of the couch. "You need to learn to shut it all out, otherwise it'll drain you."

She let out a long sigh. "That sounds good."

"I'll teach you sometime, if you like?" he said.

Lucy could feel him watching her as she rested her head against the couch and closed her eyes.

She nodded and smiled. "I'd like that."

Then she opened her eyes and stared at the ceiling for a few moments, a thought suddenly popping into her head. "Why didn't you mention anything about being an Empath when you first met me?"

Tristan looked across the room, to the kitchen where his parents were preparing the food, then back at Lucy. He looked torn. "My parents asked me to keep it to myself until we were sure that it was safe to say something."