summer: chapter twenty-nine

Before I start. I'm concluding this book at chapter 30. BUT! There will be a sequel.

Chapter twenty-nine: "he's back"

"I'm so sorry." Mason grabbed her hand giving it a soft rub.

Maya shrugged. "It's whatever. I just want to drink my life away. But I'm trying not to. Let's just talk about something else."

"You have to meet my husband one day. Maybe we can arrange a double date?" Mason suggested.

"Sounds fun! When?"

"Let's set it for Friday? We can do it at La Mirage." She smiled.

"Sounds perfect." Maya nodded. Her phone buzzed and she sighed while picking it up. "Isa?"

"You're supposed to be helping me pack! Move that butt missy. You're ten minutes past your curfew."

"I don't have a curfew and Mason and I are finishing up. I'll be there soon sweetie. Okay?" Maya sighed.

"Okay, mommy," Isadora said in a baby voice.

"Oh hush." Maya chuckled and hung up the phone. "That was Isadora, I have to help her pack. She's moving out of the apartment."

"This was fun." She smiled while Maya tossed money on the table. The two walked out and headed down the street.

"I'm starving my ass off." Max huffed. He stopped in his tracks once seeing the two blondes. "Jasper, get our table."

The dark-haired boy nodded and walked inside the restaurant.

"We're not stalking you." Maya rolled her eyes. "If that's what you're going to say."

"No. I was out of line for the other night." He stuck his hands inside his pockets. "You're right, we shouldn't let KHarts mistakes affect our chances at being real siblings."

Maya smiled. "Just in case if you forgot our names. I'm Maya."

"And I'm Mason."

"Max." He nodded. "So you guys aren't twins?"

"No, definitely not. She's two years older." Maya stuck her hands in her pockets. "You're age?"

"Twenty-two."

"No." Maya pouted and crossed her arms. "I'm the youngest."

Max chuckled and reached in his pocket. "I'll catch you guys later? Put yourself numbers in my phone."

***

"I'm so glad you guys made a relationship with him." Isadora smiled while tossing a bunch of clutter into a box.

"Yeah, me too. Hey, are these my pants?" Maya questioned while holding up the black ripped-jeans.

"Maybe." Isadora smiled sinisterly.

"You can have them. It's whatever." Maya folded them up and placed it inside the box. "I can't believe you and Zay are moving out. What am I gonna do with this room?"

"Let Riley and Farkle stay." Isadora joked.

"You're annoying." Maya chuckled. "Zay and I have been staying here since the beginning of college. It already feels strange to have him gone."

"At least you have Lucas, right?"

"Yeah." Maya nodded. She stood up and dusted off her knees. "I've helped you with most of this room. Tell your fiancé to pack his stuff up."

"Thank you, Maya, now go cook dinner!"

"Starve." Maya chuckled and walked out of the room. She spotted Lucas and Missy on the couch writing down topic discussion.

Maya rolled her eyes. She walked towards them and sighed.

"Missy, it's time to go. I've let you in my house. I let you sit and judge everything that I do, but now it's ten at night, and it's time for you to go." Maya huffed.

"Maya." Lucas furrowed his eyebrows. "Just give us thirty minutes."

"No! I've been too nice. I let you and Missy push me around. I tried complying with you guys and your research, but I have had enough. Please leave." Maya crossed her arms.

"Well if Lucas says thirty more minutes than I think I can stay thirty more minutes." Missy gave Maya a fake smile.

"Listen here. My name is on the lease. That means sweetie that this apartment is mine. If I want you out then you better get the hell out."

Missy rolled her eyes. She gathered her stuff and sighed. "We can study at the library since I'm not welcomed here. See you tomorrow."

She walked out the door. Maya locked it behind her.

"Ma-"

"We have a double date to attend tomorrow with Mason. I don't wanna hear any complaints about what just went on. I've listed to you my problems, and you have not respected them, so I won't respect you or your guest. That means I will be rude and kick them out whenever I want to." Maya opened the door to her.

She began to walk in but stopped in her tracks.

"Also, you're on the couch tonight."

***

Maya applied the lass coat of lipgloss and looked over towards Lucas. "Mason is running a bit late but we can go ahead and grab a table."

Lucas nodded.

"What, are you still not talking to me?" Maya rolled her eyes. "At least talk to me when we get in."

"I don't know. Maybe I will complain about being at dinner and ask them to leave our table." Lucas shrugged.

"Seriously Lucas, what is your deal? Why do you feel the need to defend her? She gives me backhanded replies and you let her!"

"You're being jealous for no reason! Why do you feel so threatened by her?" Lucas furrowed her eyebrows.

"Do you not listen to me?" Maya crossed her arms. "You make me feel forgotten. I feel like I'm an afterthought."

"Not true."

"When was the last time you took me on a date? You don't tell me I'm pretty anymore. You get disgusted every time I make something with meat in it. You don't even tell me you love me." Maya listed.

Her face softened before looking at him.

"You aren't into me anymore are you?" Maya softly said while looking down.

"I am into you! I love you so much-"

"So then what is it?" Maya interrupted. "What is it about me that's pushing you away?"

"That night on the balcony when you got super drunk, you called me a broken cowboy."

"So, what? Is this some kind of weird punishment?" Maya rolled her eyes.

"No, I realized that I have issues too and I didn't want to display them anymore. I thought that if I began changing myself and engaging more into my work then I won't be that broke cowboy."

"I shouldn't have said that and you don't have to change yourself, Lucas. At all. It's human and normal for us to feel broken and have issues." Maya frowned. "But just as much as I come to you, you should come to me."

Maya grabbed his hand.

"Because I'm here for you. Always and forever."

Lucas smiled and placed a kiss on the blonde's lips. "You're the most gorgeous girl I have laid eyes on."

***

"I didn't think they would be thirty minutes late." Maya glanced at her watch. "We even had a heart-to-heart in the car."

"So sorry that we're late!" Mason smiled as she dragged the shaggy-haired boy behind her.

Maya's mouth dropped as she observed the boy.

"Maya and Lucas this is-"

"Josh." Maya interrupted.