summer: chapter nineteen

Summer: "kin"

"So how did you even find out about me? How'd you get a picture?"Maya questioned. She held the iced-cold cup in her hand.

"Well, I was sent a letter from Katy."He started. He crouched down by the mini fridge and grabbed a water bottle. "Attached was a picture and a note explaining that we had a daughter."

"She didn't tell you my name?"

"No, she was afraid that I wouldn't get it. That I wouldn't believe her so she didn't bother trying."He plopped down on the couch. "You say you're twenty-one?"

"Yeah."Maya nodded.

"You almost done with school? Last year?"

"Yes it is. I'm so happy that I'm about to be done. After this I am done."Maya chuckled. She gained a laugh from Kermit.

"What's your major?"

"My major is music."

"Music? Hm maybe a you got a musical bone from me."Kermit chuckled. "What got you into music?"

Maya sighed and shook her head. "Something really stupid."

"Tell me."

"Well I grew up in foster care. I was bounced from home after home and when I was not in a home, I was in adoption centers."Maya started. "I just wanted parents. Really bad."

Maya chuckled.

"And I thought well maybe if I get famous from music that they'll want me. That I'm worth something."

"I can tell that you are worth something. And I'm sorry."He shook his head. "If I knew Maya-"

"No it's not your fault."She sighed.

He gave her a warm smile. He then began to examine her. It shocked him how much they looked like. They definitely had the same head shape and eye color, but the rest, all he saw was Katy. He shook his head at the former lover.

"Sing something."

Maya stood up. "Anything?"

"Anything."

***

"Wow kiddo. You're amazing. You are my daughter, ain't nothing denying that." Kermit smiled as he walked her by the exit door. "Here. Put your number in my phone. I wanna catch up with you sometime."

Maya nodded and typed her number into the older mans phone. Lucas awaited by the door along with Zay and Isadora.

"This young man is your boyfriend?" Kermit questioned as he examined him.

"Yes. This is Lucas, Lucas this is Kermit, my dad."Maya stumbled at the title. She still couldn't process that she had a father.

"Hi sir."Lucas tipped his imaginary hat. Kermit did the same.

"And I! Am Isaiah."Zay pushed the blonde-haired boy out the way. "Can I just say that I am a huge fan! You're album 'one night stand' is a masterpiece. We inferred that it would be about sex, but you totally changed the meaning."

"Finally someone gets it!"Kermit smiled. "I like this boy already."

"This is Isaiah, like he said, but we call him Zay. He's my brother through love." Maya smiled.

"So does this make me your kid too?"Zay  batted his eyes, gaining a laugh from Kermit.

"That's enough Zay."Maya rolled her eyes and pushed him away. "And this is Isadora."