summer: chapter thirteen

chapter thirteen: Texas pt. 1

Maya furrowed her eyebrows as Lucas slowly walked in. He plopped down on the couch next to Isadora and sighed.

"What happened?"Isadora questioned. Maya sat down on the other side of him.

"She cheated."He mumbled. "With some dude in California. His name is Farkle."

Maya gasped. "I'm so sorry Lucas."

But something inside made Maya feel relieved. Why was she happy that the green eyed boy was no longer with her former friend?

"I'm gonna go."Isadora awkwardly stood up and walked into Zay's room. Maya sighed and slightly rubbed his back.

"She told me that she was in love, not with me, but with him."He sighed turning his head away. "And then she packed her stuff and left."

Maya remained quiet. She didn't have anything to stay. Instead she leaned her head on the taller boy.

"Just know, that if you need anything. I'm here for you."She mumbled. Lucas turned towards her staring at the blonde.

"Thank you."He gave a weak smile.

Maya nodded while staring into his emerald eyes. Lucas felt himself pulling closer to her. The two became inches apart. Both contemplating if they wanted to kiss each other.

But Lucas decided first. He smashed his lips into the smaller blonde. Maya was caught by surprise, but quickly melted into it. Lucas caught himself and quickly pulled away.

"I'm sorry."He got up. He seemed flustered. He quickly walked towards the door.

"No it's fine Lucas."Maya smiled while following after.

"It's not fine Maya! This was a mistake. I should have never kissed you."Lucas groaned and opened the door. "That can't happen again."

And with that, Lucas was out the door.

***

Maya sent countless of texts in attempt to check on the cowboy, but she didn't get a reply for none of them.

Currently, she was packing her things. Maya's art and song program was the next day, and her mind was too busy to even focus on that.

"Maya, we need to be at the airport in three hours, are you done packing?"Isadora questioned while plopping down on her bed.

"Almost Isa."

"What happened with you and Lucas? You've been acting so weird ever since he left."Isadora questioned. "Please don't let it affect your camp."

May sighed and closed the suitcase shut. "We kissed."

Isadora's eyes went wide. "What!"

"Yes."Maya huffed and zipped up the suitcase. She stood to her feet and sat down on the bed next to Isadora.

"Okay details."

"Nothing to get exited over. He kissed me, and I kissed back. Then he got scared and quickly hurried out."Maya muttered.

"Did he say anything?"Isadora questioned.

"He said it was a mistake, and that it can't happen again. And then he left."Maya looked down at the ground. "But whatever."

Isadora gave her a hug. "He likes you Maya, just give him time. He just got his heartbroken."

"Yeah I know."Maya nodded. "I know."

***

"Home sweet home."Zay smiled while tossing down his stuff. He knocked on the wooden door, and it slung up.

"Baby!"The older woman exclaimed while bringing him in a hug. She planted kisses all over his face. "I missed you, why you ain't call me?"

"Sorry ma."He smiled. "New York been keeping me busy. This is Maya by the way, the one who was in foster care with me."

"Hey baby!"She exclaimed giving the shorter blonde a hug.

"And this is Isadora, she's my girlfriend."Zay smiled.

"Okay Zay! I see you picked up a fine young lady."She smiled. "Hey baby"She chuckled while giving her a hug.

"Nice meeting you."Maya smiled.

"Nice meeting you too, come on in. I dun' cooked up some good food for y'all. I know you babies are hungry. I'm Linda by the way"

They all walked in. Linda closed and locked the door behind them. They all settled down at the table.

"Zay, I thought you mentioned that Lucas was coming. Change of plans?"She questioned while bringing out the food from the kitchen.

"He's catching a later flight something came up, but he should be here in a couple of hours."Zay nodded.

"That's great."She nodded. "So Miss. Maya, Zay told me that your here for a camp?"

"Yes, I'm here for the art and music program hosted at Texas University."

"That lovely, you plan on pursuing music or art as a career?"Linda questioned while handing everybody utensils.

"Uh, it would be nice too. But I have to think logically, it's nearly impossible to have a career in the arts."Maya shrugged.

"Not with God baby. As long as you keep faith, everything will line up for you."She smiled.

Maya remained quiet. Linda began to place food on their plates, and within minutes, they were digging into their food.

The table began to start back up with a conversation. Maya kept to herself. She couldn't help but think about Lucas. Her feelings were growing stronger, and there was nothing she could do to control them.

It was hard for her to grasp that she liked him. She liked the boy who use to bicker a lot.

And quiet frankly, she missed him. She wanted to go back to New York, and drag him to another coffee shop; or teach him another one of her 'Maya lessons'. She just wanted the presence of the heartbroken boy.

But her wish, was her command. There was a sudden knock on the door followed by it opening. The tall boy stepped through with his hat pushed down low.

"Lucas!"Linda exclaimed while standing up and walking over towards him. "How you doing."

"Hey Ms. Linda."He smiled. "I'm doin' alright."

Maya remained eating her food, she didn't have the nerve to turn and face him.

"Hey, Zay, Isadora, and um Maya."He nodded awkwardly and stepped in. Linda closed and locked the door behind him.

"Come eat baby. There's a seat next to the pretty girl right there. I'll fix you a plate."
Linda nodded and headed into the kitchen.

Lucas awkwardly sat down and Maya sighed. Gosh, she wanted Lucas there, but not awkward Lucas. She wished the kiss never happened. Maybe the tension wouldn't be so high between them.

"Glad to be home?"Zay questioned. Lucas nodded.

"So glad."