Chapter 23 - The Chase

Zacznij od początku

As Natalie and I were walking towards Camden station, all I got in my mind was the bed. I just wanted to go home, take some pills and sleep so that I could choose to return to my universe again. It was funny to think of how everything had changed because of pain. I used to be so eager to leave my place just to come here, but now I couldn't wait to get out. 

The walk to the station was quiet since I didn't feel like talking. There was no attempt from Natalie to open up a conversation also. Besides, there were so many people around and nobody could talk without the need to yell just to be heard. This chaotic environment was inconvenient for both of us, I guessed, so we focused on the way to the tube instead. But as my eyes were concentrating on everything that was in front of me, they caught a glimpse of a familiar face from afar, and my heartbeat went restless in no second.

It was Lisa.

She was taking her steps towards me and I didn't stop mine regardless of the surprise she gave me. I only slowed down my walking, putting my best friend slightly at the front because of it. But then even Natalie's walk was interrupted as she spun around, probably had spotted the detective too. I thought I wouldn't have to see Lisa, assuming that she wouldn't come here this late. I thought I could go home in peace but the universe kept toying with my feelings by sending Lisa to me.

This universe had probably arranged everything, so I would still be walking towards her as she was going the same way no matter how many times we had differed, we would always meet halfway.

"Hi, Chae" She greeted me when our legs stopped. "Hi to you too, Natalie"

I gave her a smile since she offered me hers, looking sweet and pretty as she usually was. Not only her smile made me feel uneasy, but it was also the fact that the three of us stopped in the middle of the busy pavement, being a huge rock that disturbed the flow of a river.

"The stall is closed, detective, obviously" Natalie teased with chuckles as the opening of the talk. "We are going home"

"I can see that" Lisa replied with the same cheerful tone. "But I'm not here for yakisoba" She continued. "I'm here to see Chae"

I could tell by Natalie's gestures that she was ready to leave, probably wanting to give Lisa and I some privacy.

"Alright then. I'll see you at home, Chae" She said as she took one step farther.

But I grasped her wrist immediately, stopping her from making more.

"Can you wait for me, please?" I looked at her in the eye before I turned to Lisa's right after. "It won't take long, right?"

"Uhh...yeah, I guess?" Lisa looked confused. The way I responded to her might give her a clue that I wasn't comfortable like I used to.

"I'll wait over there," Natalie said and she left when I gave her a nod.

Sighing, I paid attention to the one who was with me at that time; Lisa. We were looking at each other for good seconds yet none of us talked. I expected her to resume with her intention, which was what she came here for. I was silent because I wanted to listen to what she got to say, but the longer I waited, the more anxious her face looked.

So I had to initiate it just for the sake of getting it over with and go home.

"Lisa?" I called softly.

"Yeah?"

"So, you wanted to see me?"

"Yes! Umm..." She pulled something out from her back, probably had been hiding it there ever since she saw me. "I got you some chocolates" Her hands were handing me a red box with a blue ribbon tied around it. "I hope you like them"