𝘊𝘏𝘈𝘗𝘛𝘌𝘙 9

She may have been wanting to leave Kai for a while, but if she was going to do it right, then she had to do it right

She may have been wanting to leave Kai for a while, but if she was going to do it right, then she had to do it right. This was thirteen years of companionship and sheer understanding she was going to be walking away from. For her sake, for Kai, and for the love that had bound them, she would close this chapter with as much care as she could muster.

That was all she really had in mind even when she found herself standing outside his room, ready to knock on the wood of his door as she had done so many times before. For the past few years, since Kai's changes became more apparent, (Name) hadn't taken the initiative to visit him without prior notice. Dropping in unannounced felt like a practice from when they were teenagers.

And this would be the last time.

She felt the numb apprehension that precedes all that is inevitable. Her heartbeat resonated lowly in her ears, but her breathing was slow and even. (Name) felt oddly at peace with the weight in her abdomen.

Somehow, it felt right to be putting an end to something that had consumed a majority of her life. The seventeen-year-old inside her would probably never stop being in love him, but the rest of her could let go. Maybe if she'd read the warning signs earlier, she wouldn't have had to navigate so much turmoil only to end up at Kai's door so she could break his heart. Maybe if she'd known, she wouldn't have fallen in love to begin with.

She might've never approached the new boy at the Shie Hassaikai in the hopes of making a friend.

Or maybe she would have. Maybe this was always what had been meant for them. Maybe they'd only ever begun so they could end.

She could blame Kai if she wanted to. Perhaps he was to blame because he let his resentment define him and gave into his cruelty.

Or perhaps it was her fault for giving up on him. Perhaps it was because she hadn't done so sooner.

Maybe they were just victims of what society had shaped them to be. Maybe they were just kids who had never had a chance to begin with.

When one had been shunned from the moment his quirk set in and had only been raised with rejection and resentment as his parents while the other grew just as any other child, maybe they never should have even crossed paths.