𝘊𝘏𝘈𝘗𝘛𝘌𝘙 6

Getting called into Kai's office would never get easier for (Name)

Getting called into Kai's office would never get easier for (Name). In fact, every time she was called there, bringing herself to actually enter became harder than it had been the last time. Something about the way the room played so obviously to power dynamics to make her feel smaller than she usually did in Kai's presence was incredibly difficult to become accustomed to, and only got harder the more she time she had to think about her tumultuous emotions regarding Kai.

To love someone and despise everything they stand for at the same time is an exhausting experience she wouldn't wish upon anyone.

Kai represented the worst members of society without even knowing it. He wasn't an inherently bad person; his actions were monstrous, but he was not. He was a product of their society and the way it shaped those who did not fit into its mold. (Name) knew of his abandonment as a child and why it came to be in the first place. She knew that Kai saw his own quirk as a weapon because everyone else (her included) taught him that by fearing or shunning what was essentially a part of him.

She knew Kai. She watched him become what he was now. She too had a hand in shaping him.

How much of this was her fault?

Here was the boy she loved. The boy she fractured further instead of understanding. The boy who grew into a man she feared.

Here was her handiwork.

"You asked for me," she brought up once she was inside the office, not moving away from the door until he beckoned for her to come closer.

Kai's eyes creased at the corners—a sign he was smiling—as he nodded and set down the papers he had been flipping through. "I wanted to introduce someone to you, (Name)." He gestured for her to take a seat, watching as she sank into the chair with an apprehensive lack of speed. "Adjusting to the compound has been harder for you than I had anticipated, so I thought I might offer you a distraction."

Unconvinced, but unwilling to show that blatantly, she did her best to keep her expression from going to anything beyond intrigue. "Distraction?"

He nodded. "I did some research, and found that maybe giving you something to look after would help you adjust to taking control of your new surroundings," Kai revealed. "We have a little girl on the compound—Eri. She's the Boss's granddaughter, and I've been looking after her since the old man himself was around. Her previous caretaker let her run away recently, so I...got rid of him, and she is in need of someone to care for her. If you're willing to accept, I think you'd be perfect."