𝘊𝘏𝘈𝘗𝘛𝘌𝘙 4

(Name) flipped the strap of her messenger bag idly, evening it out before knocking on the door to Kai's office at the Hassaikai compound, refraining from looking around too much because the hallways seemed so much colder now than they had when she...

(Name) flipped the strap of her messenger bag idly, evening it out before knocking on the door to Kai's office at the Hassaikai compound, refraining from looking around too much because the hallways seemed so much colder now than they had when she had been a kid. To her, it felt like the soul of the yakuza family and its compound lay at rest along with the Boss who had fallen into a vegetative state as a result of some 'mysterious' ailment that refused to stop plaguing him.

She hadn't been particularly close to the man, but she had always respected him and the amount of integrity he held. Even she knew it was a blow to the family to lose their kumicho so suddenly.

The Boss's state forced Kai to step into place as the leader of the Shie Hassaikai to keep the family from falling into a state of despair and downward spiraling. Of course, secretly, there was plenty of internal opposition to Kai assuming power even though he had several foster brothers who had been around for longer and, therefore, held more authority than he did.

For one, even as an outsider to the family, (Name) knew that Kai didn't fully understand the values the Shie Hassaikai actually stood for. He resorted to violence too often to be truly in line with their code of honor and that had even been a point of constant reprimanding on the Boss's part with regards to Kai's performance on his tasks. Kai was young and idealistic, and apparently, never understood the aspects of the yakuza that maintained their humanity amidst the violence of their lifestyle.

As the fact stood, however, no one cared for the Shie Hassaikai as much as Kai did. He was fervent in his desire to restore its glory, and it was assured that under him, their power would definitely not suffer. As for the ones who worried Kai's inherently violent nature coupled with his obsessive idealistic tendencies would sully the Hassaikai's reputation-well, none of them were in a position where they could challenge Overhaul and expect to walk away alive, let alone emerge victorious, from such a confrontation.

Chisaki Kai had a vision he would stop at nothing to realize, and no one dared to stand in his way lest they be left as little more than a stain on the wall and a speckle on his pale skin.

Everyone feared Overhaul if they had any sense of self preservation at all.

Which made (Name) wonder if she was some sort of insane for ignoring everything her lover was responsible for. Kai had never once treated her with anything other than respect and care, and he never spoke of all the ruin in his wake-the blood on his hands never mattered as soon as he discarded his surgical gloves to reach for her.