One: The Exams

Jacob's feet hit the steel ground.

He lived in a standard-issue apartment in Alocanalani, as a middle-class civilian. An empty wine bottle was on his iron table. It had three rooms: a kitchen and dining area, a bathroom and a bedroom. Everything other than the bed, which was wood and polyester, was metal to be resistant to the constant bomb testing nearby and in the possibility of a riot (which were quite frequent in Eidel). The bed was scratchy and uncomfortable, and often left Jacob with scratches on himself when he woke up. He had a few on his shoulder blades this morning, which he washed down with cold water while he showered. 

The wood-scented soap was stingy against the cuts across his back, but he was used to it by now. It had been the life he had lived for eighteen years, after all, to the day. He washed the oily grime out of his coffee hair, the soapy water hot against his copper skin. He was considered handsome by his peers, although he had no interest in such, with his captivating hazel eyes and smooth complexion. He stepped out of the steamy shower, grabbing a towel from the rack nearby. 

His Pre-Age Occupation was in an oil factory, under some of the worst working conditions of the bunch. He picked up the wine bottle from his side table and threw out from his balcony, which was right above the dumpster. As every year, he got his small birthday note from his aunt, the last of his remaining family, with enough Holo-Chips for a nice dinner downtown and a new sirt from some designer in her city, Bogatyye, a very wealthy city farther away from Alocanalani. This year it was a minimalist style cashmere, which was a shiny silver with gold embroidery.

Opening his wallet to put the Holo-Chips away, he got out his last meal ticket, making a mental note that he would need to buy more if he didn't pass the Exams. After all, Creators got automatic high-class as Katy Schlau's right-hands. He knew he wouldn't pass, however, as only high-class members ever seem to be Creators. The last time a middle-class was one was in the first years of Eidel, before he was even born. Jacob put on the new top for the occasion of his Exams, as that would be what his mother and father would want if they were still alive, and headed out toward the Meal Hall for what might of been the last time.

"A porridge and an apple, please," Jacob requested, handing the chef (a brutish man with choppy side burns and a handful of missing teeth) his meal ticket.

The chef simply grunted and gave him the meal, snatching up the meal ticket. Jacob shrugged and grabbed the tray. His childhood, Chris, friend waved over for him to sit together. He sat down next to Chris and taking a bite of the green and yellow apple. Chris noticed the top right away. "Your Aunt Georgia send you that?" he asked. Chris was also a middle-class, with golden hair and blue eyes. His skin had so little pigment it was was almost white as snow.

"Yeah. I'm only wearing it for the Exams, though. My mom and dad would want me to wear it."

"True. Oh, I got you a gift this year!" Chris rummaged about his pockets until he found a small box.

"Chris, you shouldn't be wasting your money!" Jacob sighed.

"C'mon, you sound like my mom! 'Christopher Fisher, you shouldn't be wasting your money like that!' Man, just open it. It's good, I swear." He stuffed the box in Jacob's hands, who ripped the paper delicately and opened the box.

He stared. "Is that..."

Chris grinned. "It's the new Communicator you've been eyeing. I've been saving up for months to get you that."

Jacob grinned. "Thank you." He put the Communicator on his wrist, scrolling through the options. He took another bite of apple, and before long he finished the meal. He reclined in his seat and waited for the announcement. And it came.