11

It was still light outside when Felix and Jeongin got the bus home. The two of them were sat at the very back, Jeongin leaning against the window with Felix beside him. Felix was trying to look out the window but he usually found himself looking at Jeongin instead, admiring the small smile on his lips and his head pressed against the glass as he watched the cars drive by.

"Jeongin, can I have your phone number?" Felix asked, remembering he didn't have it.

"I don't have a phone," Jeongin admitted, pushing himself away from the window, "we're not allowed them at home. We're not even allowed TV unless it's a Saturday night," he added with a half-hearted chuckle.

"Oh, that sucks," Felix mumbled but Jeongin gave him a nonchalant shrug.

"I don't mind. It's not like I know what I'm missing," he said, resting his head against the window but this time looking a bit more distant.

"What are you thinking about?" Felix asked.

"I don't know," he mumbled, "I guess I'm just wondering if I had a phone before I was put into foster care, or at least a TV."

"So...you really don't remember anything from your past?"

Jeongin shook his head, "everything is blank."

Seeing the sullen look return to Jeongin's face after seeing him smiling all day was awful. Felix wanted to make it go away but it was too late. The bus was arriving at his stop in less than a minute. He pressed the stop button and said, "Jeongin?"

"Yeah?"

Felix hesitated but when he only had a few seconds before he needed to get off the bus, he moved forward and pressed his lips against Jeongin's cheek. It was quick, merely a peck but Felix couldn't bring himself to look at Jeongin's reaction as he jumped out of his seat and rushed towards the opening doors of the bus. He almost bumped into an elderly lady in his panicked fit but he made sure to apologise profusely before finally turning to look at Jeongin.

Jeongin stared after Felix at first, but as he got further away, a smile got wider on his face. By the time Felix had turned around, he was grinning, trying to cover it by pressing his lips together but it was too obvious. He saw the proud look on Felix's face as he stepped off the bus and it set off again, going to Jeongin's stop next.

The smile wouldn't stay off Jeongin's face no matter what he did. He was almost giddy with excitement as he got off at his stop and thanked the bus driver. The bus stop was close to his house but he didn't look up from the pavement. He missed Rose standing by the gates, carrying two shopping bags in her hands and staring at him. He almost jumped when he finally noticed her.

"Oh...hello," he said, voice small as his smile began to fade. He wasn't sure what she'd seen but she didn't look happy. It was rare for him to get in trouble. The thought of it alone made him panic.

"Jeongin, where did you come from?" Rose inquired. Jeongin wanted to reply but when he opened his mouth, the words wouldn't come out. He froze, unsure what to do or say. "Don't ignore me. I saw you getting off the bus. I thought you were meant to be with Seungmin today."

"I-I was."

"Seungmin came back an hour ago. You lied to us?"

Jeongin dropped his head, "I'm sorry."

"Go inside," Rose said, voice risen which made Jeongin flinch. His head was spiralling with a million thoughts as he started to walk down the drive. It was only when he reached for the door handle that he started to feel it happening. When his hand touched the cold metal, the world around Jeongin became foggy. It was a feeling Jeongin had experienced many times but he didn't like it. He didn't feel in control as he stepped through the door. The world around him started to feel less and less real.