Chapter Two ♡

Glamorous Loretta

Moa sat up in her bed. Startled. She was sure she'd heard someone calling her name.

But the night around her were calm and still.
A cricket buzzed somewhere in the darkness.

Sliding out of bed Moa tiptoed her way over to the window on bare feets. Shivering as her skin made contact with the cold floor.

She peaked around the curtain and out the open window.

Nothing.
Yet she was sure someone had called her name.

She wasn't feeling sleepy anymore, on the contrary, she felt wide awake.
Backing away from the open window Moa glanced across the room. She'd had no time to personalize it yet, Blaze having occupied her the whole evening yesterday. Not that she minded.

She supposed the dorm room would soon be a mess anyway, it was quite the crampt space and Moa wasn't an overly organized person. 

She'd gotten one of the Bobcats lower-rank members to help her find an empty room. Even though the one she'd been given had a large closet and a small but functional bathroom she hadn't moved her clothes or toiletries out of her bag.

Sure, Justin and Maya had been very polite and welcoming. It was just... She had a feeling this wasn't her place.
Somehow she felt closer to home than ever before but not yet quite there. Like she was standing on the porch after spending her whole life in the driveway. She just had to find that one thing to take her through the door.

Breakfast at the Moorland Stables summer Camp where served in a small, cozy cafeteria. Grabbing herself a piece of bread and some butter Moa felt someone nudging her in the back.
"Why don't you sit with us, Mona?" A glamorous Loretta asked. "We wouldn't want you to sit alone on your first day."

Moa only nodded and followed after Loretta, who'd swept a glass of juice from a younger girl, as she made her way through the hall.

Seriously, Moa thought sullenly. It was half past five in the morning and Loretta was already dressed in newly washed white boot-cut jeans and flashed a perfectly painted face at anyone who looked.
Moa had never managed to pull off even some light mascara. She always ended up looking like a raccoon sporting a black eye.

Near the back of the cafeteria a rather smaller table had been set up. This was no doubt the Bobcat's exclusive.

"Don't get too used to it, Moana." Loretta said loudly so that the whole table could hear. "This is usually only for us Bobcats."
She then turned to the smirking girls sitting spread around the rectangular table.
"This is Moira, I thought I would be nice to invite her to eat with us."

"That's very generous, Retta." A blonde girl said genuinely. "I'm Julie, it's nice to meet you Moira."

Moa debated with herself for a moment whether it was worth correcting her but had no chance before Loretta leaned in close.

"I saw you yesterday chatting with Tan like you had some kind of moment. Don't get your hopes up. Tan is sweet with all the newcomers," sureee, "but she takes Bobcats just as seriously as I do. You won't just waltz in her like some sort of saint. Wearing pink is something you have to earn."

"Yeah of course. Whatever you say Loretta." They must be thinking her mind worked abnormally slow if they thought they had to repeat themselves so many times.
She could actually take a hint, geez.

"By the way." Loretta went on, not catching Moa's sarcasm. "I think I heard Justin was looking for you." Her eyes narrowed suspiciously.
"He probably just needs someone to muck the stables, Retta." The blonde, Julie, chuckled. Apparently eavesdropping on them. "Otherwise he would have asked you."

"Of course." Loretta flipped her hair nonchalantly and said sourly to Moa, "Better not keep him waiting."

As Moa left the table to find out what Justing wanted, the laughs clearly aimed at her didn't bother her at all as much as she would have thought.
Of course not, Moa. She sighed. She didn't need their approval.

"There you are Moa!"

Coming towards her, waving cheerfully, was a just as muddy as Loretta had been pretty, Justin.

"Hi..." Moa muttered as he came closer. "What's with all the mud?"

Like he hadn't noticed it before Justin looked down at his own clothes.

He laughed sheepishly. "I actually have no idea... But eh Moa? Could you possibly help me-"
"Mucking?" Moa jocked, remembering Julie's comment.
"Actually, yes. If you don't mind."

Mucking was a part of the equestrian experience, was it not?

"Sure. I'll do it." Moa breathed heavily.

Smiling, Justin added before walking away; "having a horse isn't the same as a bike or car. It's a relationship. You'll see. You and Blaze will give each other so much the mucking will be worth it."

Oh, suuuure.

Calling back over his shoulder, Justin gave her one last thing to put her mind around.
"It's a beautiful thing, the bond between horse and rider. On Jorvik we call it Aideen's Gift."

Well that was a weird name, Jane thought before dismissing it. Sure, she felt like she belonged with Blaze more than any other being ever before. But didn't those things happen with all animals?

Well, when Maya said Justin had a talent for making the perfect matches she wasn't wrong.
The mucking almost did feel worth it when she discovered Blaze's muzzle nudging her neck.

____

 This is almost illegaly short, but on the other hand, chapter 3 won't take as long as this did. 
Hopefully. 

I spent a rediculous amount of time on a text this short so you better like it at least a little :) 

Like honestly, just a ittle bittle bit, that's all I'm asking for.