forty-one

[I'm aiming for smaller chapters this time around - hopefully it will make combating writer's block easier for me. Let me tell you, it is hard writing for a character when you have another story in mind with a drastically different tone.]

 - 

Hanae leaned down slowly, a groan caught in her throat from the pressure on her puncture wound. She kept one hand in the air, the other laying a set of cloth bundles onto the grass below, keeping an eye on the five blade tips pointed in her direction. One wavered slightly as the samurai wielding it nervously adjusted his grip.

"Once more." The calm voice of Okisuke brushed through the cluster of samurai. "Tell me what happened once more."

Now standing, Hanae raised her second hand level with the first. "I met what at first appeared to be my father in the clearing just past here. He looked and sounded just as I remembered him, and acted as I expected a person to act, but he didn't necessarily act as my father would. He had no knowledge outside of what I told him, and when I asked him specific questions that my father should know he didn't answer correctly. This is what led me to believe that he wasn't my father." Hanae gestured to the tied cloth, "It was a white Zetsu in his guise. A near perfect imitation." She sucked her bottom lip into her mouth, biting down just enough to quell the trembling that threatened to begin.

Behind Okisuke she could see Mifune approaching ; he was followed by Urakaku who had been sent to alert the daimyo of the situation just moments before. Gaze flicking to the bundle once, he then stared deep into Hanae's expression - so deep that she could begin to feel pressure mounting in her throat.

Okisuke drew her attention back with a sharp clearing of his throat. Hanae hadn't even realized that she had turned away from the bald man, too nerve struck by Mifune's invasive leer to notice much of anything. "Give me a reason why I should take your word." Hanae fumbled for words, taking so long that Okisuke spoke again. "Tell me why I should believe that you aren't the very thing you said you saw."

Her throat was dry. She racked her brain for any plausible explanation that would clear her from suspicion, but even though it was so clear to Hanae, she couldn't grasp the right reasoning to convince the others. Luckily, Mifune was quick to answer for her.

"She's not an imitation," the elder spoke, succinct and clear, leaving no room for doubt.

The man parting the two moved his head just enough to catch the daimyo in his peripherals. "My lord. I don't wish to question you, but I will need an explanation. The safety of everyone is at risk."

Mifune chuckled, a gruff noise that carried a soft tone of respect for his subordinate. "Hanae."

"Sir."

"Those are the heads of the Zetsu, are they not?"

She nodded slowly, stare fading from fear to relief. "Yes, sir."

Okisuke remained still for a moment longer before raising his hand. Swinging his arm out at a slow pace, he stilled with his hand straight and palm facing the woman. The samurai that could see the motion lowered their swords followed by the ones who were turned with their backs towards the leaders.

"What does that mean?" A younger samurai murmured. All eyes watched as Urakaku approached the bundles. He worked to untie the tightly drawn fabric of the first cloth, laying the icor stained corners out neatly. He repeated with the other, revealing two stark white heads resting upright on what was left of their necks. The second one stood for a moment before sliding to the side, unable to support itself with a bifurcated base.

Urakaku inspected the intact head briefly. "The Umu are an old clan," he explained, separating the eyelids of the figure. "Nearly as old as the Land of Iron itself. As such, they carry on the old traditions, head hunting being one of them." Forearm resting on his knee, Urakaku's smirk was nearly audible through his scarf. "Butsugadan."

"The lower jaw sticks out as well," Hanae added with her own hint of a smirk. "It will be a victory for the Allied Forces." The relief washing over her threatened the strength of her knees. They wobbled only for a moment when the ring of armored men opened to let her through.

"If you men possessed no knowledge of the tradition of head hunting, I doubt the enemy would either. Umu-taicho is innocent."

Tatsui didn't need to hear another word to approach his sister. He swept her hair away from her face, worriedly inspecting it in a manner very much unfitting of the teenager. Hanae swatted his hand lightly. Inwardly appreciating his kindness, she couldn;t help but be embarrassed when in front of others.

"That doesn't mean you can relax. Stay alert and watch each other's backs. No one will be alone for the remainder of the war. The enemy has no honor, so we will not honor them with an opening in our defenses."

A semblance of peace returned to the faction just as quickly as the earlier tension had arisen. Samurai split into groups of five or more, sitting facing each other ; chatting, sleeping, complaining. Everything had, for lack of better term, returned to normal.

The siblings had taken their own refuge together. Hanae rested against a tree, letting out a deep sigh as Tatsui continued to stare at her. His expression still held hints of concern but they were overpowered by what she could only guess was annoyance. "You go out for ten minutes and this happens," the younger sibling chastised. "You're the worst older sister anyone could ask for."

"You're going to break my heart," Hanae whined. She reached up for Tatsui's hand, motioning for him to help her up from the seated position she had taken. Once grasped, The woman pulled down forcefully, knocking Tatsui off balance and sending him clambering down onto his knees. They struggled briefly before Hanae could force him into a lying position, holding his head still on her lap before he stopped struggling. She regretted the action as soon as it began, feeling the pressure of the moss stuffed into her skin begin to throb painfully. "You take after mama so much it's scary."

The youngest Umu relented to the position, calming when Hanae began to stroke her gloved fingers through his dark wavy hair. The eldest continued in silence for a moment before speaking. "I'm sorry I made you worry. I know you're angry because you love me. I'll be more careful next time, hm?"

Tatsui huffed in indignation, relaxing further as she followed the whirl of his hair. He would have fallen asleep had Hanae's hand not stuttered, her body racked by a series of sneezes that carried down through her limbs.

She grasped painfully at her side, the wound clenching with every forceful exhale. Hanae had turned her face away from her brother, but it did no good in hiding the sharp hiss she released after her fit subsided.

It was October. The trees they rested against had no doubt begun to release their pollen to prepare for spring. Prime germination period.

"Nee-san?" Tatsui questioned quietly, lifting his head from the spot he had begun to warm on her thighs. A few others nearby turned to the pair questioningly, turning away when spotting the source of the loud and sudden noise. Hanae held her hand over her mouth, hiding the grimace that forced her teeth together painfully. "What is it now?"

Taking a breath, Hanae released the hand grasping her side and offered an apologetic smile. "I must have pulled something when I got attacked. It was very sudden after all. Don't worry about me, just go to sleep. I'll wake you up in three hours."

Appeased, Tatsui resettled back onto her lap, closing his eyes to catch the small bit of sleep he had been afforded. Hanae resumed petting his hair, equating the warmth growing in her gut to the joy of being with her brother again.