thirty-eight

[Sorry about the math, but I worked hard on it and felt like my effort should be included. This is my version of a filler episode ; getting back into it and fleshing out point A to point B. Helpful vocabulary at the bottom.]

-

"Okisuke, report."

"Sir. First Division led by Darui of Kumogakure is stationed along the cost. They are 15,120 strong and accompanied by one fire sonae, one water sonae, and one earth sonae. Second Division led by Kitsuchi of Iwagakure is stationed on the northern edge of the Land of Lightning. They are 25,200 strong and accompanied by one lightning sonae. Third Division led by Kakashi Hatake of Konohagakure is advancing into the Land of Frost. They are 15,680 strong and accompanied by one air sonae. Fourth Division led by Gaara the Kazekage is stationed in the Southern edge of the Land of Lightning. They are 9,600 strong and accompanied by two air sonae and one lightning sonae.

"Our Fifth Division is holding the Taimo formation across the Land of Lightning. We are 14,400 strong."

Back against the wall, Hanae listened half-heartedly as Okisuke prattled on. The bald man lowered the packet of papers in his hand until they rested against the chest plate of his armor.

Togoshi Unkei, decorated by a scarlet agemaki, straightened at the front of the line. "Sir, the Ho-Gumi is 1,296 strong and split into three sonae of 432 samurai each. The Rai-Gumi is 4,032 strong and split into six sonae of 672 samurai each." He spoke for Hashimoto Ippei, the absent Kumigashira currently assisting the Second Division.

Matsushima Kijuro, adorned by a jade agemaki, spoke up next. "Sir, the Tsuchi-Gumi is 1,008 strong and split into three sonae of 336 samurai each."

Then Tatsui. "Sir, the Mizu-Gumi is 2,160 strong and split into four sonae of 540 samurai each."

And finally Hanae. "Sir, the Kaze-Gumi is 5,760 strong and split into eight sonae of 720 samurai each."

Mifune, kneeling on the floor, nodded slowly as he took in the information. "And we, the Honjin, are 350 strong. Everything looks favorable thus far. Orders from headquarters should be arriving soon."

As if being answered by God himself, the Fifth Division's intelligence shinobi entered the room in a haste. "Lord Mifune, HQ is requesting aide into battlefield A. The First Division is facing a swarm of White Zetsu. Ino Yamanaka of Konoha is requested as well."

Mifune tossed the lone female samurai a glance ; catching the motion the woman nodded and headed outside of the building where she knew the kunoichi to be. "Ino," she called when the blonde was in sight.

The teen approached the older woman. "Umu-Taisho."

Hanae couldn't help the smirk that pulled at her lips, "you're needed at Battlefield A with the First Division. The far half of the Fifth Division is already on the move so join them on your way there."

Ino nodded shortly. She pressed a clenched hand into the olive flak jacket she wore. Hanae didn't have to be a mind reader like the kunoichi to see she was a bit apprehensive. Not only was she young but she was a sensor type-shinobi, a target to the enemy forces looking to gain any sort of advantage they could. The future Yamanaka head wanted to make her father proud, but being so far away from the man made that task not only hard but feel impossible.

Hanae extended a gloved hand and rested it on the younger woman's shoulder, "stay safe, yeah? Make our village proud." She met the blonde's gaze and gave the best reassuring smile she could. Ino nodded shortly before taking off northwest.

Alone for the first time in a while, Hanae let herself enjoy the outdoors. A breeze tossed her hair, a whisper of peace in this time of war. Not being in the battle itself yet did not mean she couldn't feel it ; the ground would shake every once in a while, and a chill would cover her arms through the thick armor. The breeze wasn't her only peace, the knowledge that innocent villagers - those not physically able to fight or too young to do so - were hiding out in Konoha was ever present in her mind. Hopefully they were treating her home right. She did plan to return after all. Planned to build a home, life, and future rooted into the soil cradling the village. Planned to build a future alongside -

"Hanae!" Tatsui's loud outburst launched the woman nearly a foot into the air. "Get your head out of the clouds and come on! The Honjin is headed out to aide the Surprise Attack Division!"

Fumbling with her helmet, Hanae soon fell into line with her younger brother as the Honjin weaved through trees. "That's Sai's unit," she said aloud mainly to herself.

"Who is that? Another one of the shinobi you've grown fond of?" The statement dripped with sarcastic vehemence. If not for the situation, the older sibling would have gladly slapped her brother in the back of the head. Instead, Hanae turned her focus to the teen undoubtedly smirking under his helmet.

"You're really starting to sound like the Opposition Party, Tatsui."

Tatsui jerked his head in her direction, "those cowards? How do I sound like them at all?"

"Listen to yourself. You're mocking your elder sister for being close with shinobi. Are you saying we shouldn't help them because we are different?"

Shortly after Mifune had announced the samurai's promise of cooperation, a small group had made their opinions known very clear in the Land of Iron. They argued that samurai must maintain their outlook of neutrality, stating that they had no place in a shinobi's war, that a problem they saw caused by shinobi should then be resolved by shinobi. Mifune answered their cry with one of his own ; as samurai, they had a duty to uphold. A duty to serve as the neutrality the shinobi needed in order to form a union amongst themselves. Without an unbiased party the allies would surely fall to pieces, and that created the risk of samurai being swept up in the aftermath. Samurai were strong, yes, but they were also small. Should such an event take place they would surely be wiped out and peace would exist nowhere.

"If you can't fight alongside shinobi, then I guess you can't fight alongside an onna-bugeisha either. Am I not worthy to take my place on the battlefield because I'm different?"

Tatsui was taken aback. His steps faltered, pitching him forward before he regained his balance. "Hanae, that's not - "

The woman continued on unrelenting, "am I not worthy of these horns on my helmet? Of this agemaki? Of being the captain of the largest gumi?"

Before the youngest Umu could try to respond, Okisuke approached his side. His gaze remained forward as he addressed Tatsui. "Your sister is right. This is not a shinobi's war, this is a human's war. Samurai and shinobi are different, but those differences should not become a hindrance. Let them be a learning experience. We work better together covering each other's weaknesses than we do apart exploiting those weaknesses."

Silence enveloped the metal-clad militia as they continued through the forest. They marched towards a rising pillar of red smoke before being redirected to a nearby rendezvous point.

"I'm sorry, Nee-chan," Tatsui finally muttered.

Hanae's growing smile remained masked beneath her helmet. "I accept your apology, Tatsui. Just don't be so stupid next time."

-

Samurai Vocabulary :

sonae ; tactical unit of 300 to 800 samurai

gumi ; samurai sub-units based on weaponry

kumigashira ; leader of a gumi

Honjin ; main sonae led by the daimyo

jinkei ; battle formation

Tamei ; (great gamble) a thin serpentine shape battle formation

onna-bugeisha ; female warrior of the bushi (samurai) class