Where we started-- Esther

The picture doesn't lie. I'm a cheerleader because I'm not built for an actual sport. Unless you consider doing choreography that you remember from Starkid shows around your room a sport lol.

I turn to face a furios Jack behind me.

"Hiya, Jack..."

"I knew there was something else going on! The boys were trying to get me to join their poker game. I told them no and that I was going to the roof. They all told me no cause you were sleeping. But I knew you wouldn't normally come up here alone!"

"Jack-"

"And you pick him?! Out of all the available men, you pick HIM?!"

"Yes, Jack. Yes I did. And I had good reasons to."

"Name one."

"He got me out of the Refuge."

"Please don't lie to me, Esther."

"I'm not."

"I'm sorry for all this." Oscar speaks up.

Jack ignores him. "How long has this been going on?"

"Not very long. Since Davey joined the group."

"I think I'll leave you two alone." Oscar says. He gets up to leave and walks towards the ladder. Jack blocks his way.

"I ain't finished with you." Jack punches Oscar in the face. Oscar falls but catches himself.

"I knew I brought my brass knuckles with me for something." He grabs Jack by the collar before he can run.

Crack! Oscar's fist collided into Jack's eye.

Jack kicked him in the ankle and he almost fell, losing his grip. Jack grabbed me and we started down the ladder.

I mouth to him, I'm sorry as I'm going down.

We're right back to where we started.

Once we get inside, I find Race. I feel like I need to apologize.

But for what?

"Hiya, Kicks."

"Hey."

"So what's new?"

"Jack is pissed."

"Why?"

"He found out."

"Oh. It was bound to happen sometime."

"True."

We just stand there for a second, waiting for the other to speak.

But it was Davey who spoke next.

"Well. So I'm guessing Jack found out?"

"Yep." Race said, lighting a corona.

"That stinks. Jack's going in to speak to Pulitzer tomorrow. Are you thinking about going with him?"

"I probably have to. Jack isn't going to let me out of his sight for a long time, if I know him. And I do." I told him.

"So what's the strike news?" Race asks.

"We're gonna break into Pulitzer's tomorrow night."

We all share a smile. This ought to be fun.

"I'm going to go try to apologize to Jack." I say.

"We'll be here after!" Race calls.

I hear someone start down the ladder and I wait. The sound of a sniffle is heard and the footsteps are slowly going away.

I find Jack locked in the bathroom. I knocked on the door.

"Jack?" I whispered softly. He clears his throat.

"What?" He asks.

"Can I come in?" I say.

"Yeah."

I open the door to find Jack sitting up against the wall. He has his knees close to his chest and his head resting on his hand.

"I'm really sorry Jack. I should have told you."

"Why didn't you?"

"Cause he you hate him."

"You're right." He sighs. "The reason I lashed out and punched him was because I was scared."

"Ooh the famous Jack Kelly scared?"

"Let me finish. For most of your life, you've been hurt. Emotionally and physically. And the Delanceys are known for hurting people. And when I saw him with you....I was scared he'd hurt you too." I can see tears well up in his eyes.

"Oh Jack." I sit down next to him and let him cry into me. He hugs me tightly and I lay my head on his shoulder.

"I'm sorry for being a jerk."

"Jack, you weren't the jerk tonight. I was. Will you forgive me for lying?"

"I can forgive you but I can't forgive him."

"I understand. And I know why you took the deal. That means a lot to me."

He stops crying, but is still holding on to me.

"Esther, you're more important to me than any strike. And by the way, I'm going in to talk to Pulitzer tomorrow morning. Come with me please."

"I planned to. Let's go kick someone's butt."

I decided we needed some brotherly slash sisterly fluff in here. I'm so sad that this book will soon be coming to a close. But I have big plans for the end. It has been so fun to write and I'm glad to see people liking it and voting for it.