My Use for Moonlight----Esther

"That you, Kelly?" I hear Oscar say from above me.

"Yeah." I step on the last rung of the ladder leading to the roof of the Distribution Center. I try to swing my leg up but my dress is caught on a nail. I bend down to fix it. The heel of my shoe slipped, causing me to lose my balance and almost fall. I let out a yelp as I try to steady myself. A pair of strong hands lock around my waist and they pull me up onto the roof.

"Thanks Oscar." I smile and he hugs me.

"No problem." We pull away.

"How you doing?" I ask.

"Good. You?"

"Just dandy."

"Good," he says again. "Close your eyes." I hesitate but do what he says. My body feels all warm inside as he grabs my hand and leads me a little ways to the right.

"Alright. Open your eyes. It's not much but it's all Ise could afford." I gasped. A blanket was layed out on the roof. A loaf of bread and a few slices of cheese were there and there were two cups as well as a pitcher of water. A very small and almost used up candle was in the middle. I feel my pocket become heavier. I reach in and feel cold little circles. I smile.

"Thank you Oscar. But I told you to keep the money!" He just shrugs. I roll my eyes playfully and we sit down.

"So. How was your first day as a newsie?" Oscar laughs.

"Oh just fine. I couldn't really figure out any headlines but a lot of geezers seemed to think I was handsome and bought papers."

"They aren't the only ones." I say and pick up a slice of cheese. He scoots a little closer to me. I really hope he doesn't notice I'm blushing.

"Have you told Jack yet?" I almost choke on the cheese.

"No. They all hate you and your brother. Especially Jack."

"Then why are you giving me a chance?" I pause before answering.

"Because maybe you're not totally evil." Oscar slaps a hand over his heart and makes a sad face.

"Ouch." He says and I giggle. He scoots even closer and I lay my head on his shoulder. I start to sing softly.

Am I wrong?
For thinking that we could be something for real?
Am I wrong?
For trying to reach the things that I can't see?
That's just how I feel.

Before I can get any farther, Oscar starts clapping. I look at him and I can feel my cheeks turn red.

"Pretty good, Kelly." I look away.

"But is it though? We's like Romeo and Juliet. My family hates yours and it's the same either way. They'd think this was wrong."

"If it is, I don't want to be right." He moves my face to make me look at him. He pulls me close and our lips touch again. Oscar's fingers comb through my hair and my hands latch onto his shoulders. I laugh, my head on his chest and fell asleep under the moonlight.

A/N: The song that Esther is singing is called Am I Wrong and it's by Nico and Vinz.