First Time for Everything- Davey

"Hey Davey! Look. They looks like theys itching to buy a pape." Jack tells me, leaning against a wall. He points to a couple strolling down the boulevard.

I step forward and wave my paper in the air.

"Paper, paper! Evenin pape here!" I look at Jack for assistance. He yawns and walks over.

"Sing em to sleep why dontcha?" He takes the paper from me and scans the area. A man in a brown suit walks past.

"Extra, Extra! Terrified flight from burning inferno. You heard the story right here!" He takes the paper from Jack, hands him a coin and he exits. I just stand there, appalled.

"Thanks, mister!"

"You just made that up?" Jack swivels his head and looks at me.

"Did not. I said he heard it right here and he did."

What have I gotten myself into, selling with this kid?

"My father taught us not to lie." I tell him.

"Yeah? Mine taught me not to starve." I just nod. Suddenly, I see Les running towards us with no papers left. My jaw must have hit the pavement. How is my little brother doing better than me?

"Hey! I just sold my last paper!" He says proudly. Jack smiles.

"I've got one more." I say.

"Sell it or pay for it." Jack quips. Les grabs the paper from my hands and he walks up to a woman crossing the street.

"Buy a pape from a poor orphan boy?" Les coughs gently. I must admit his acting was pretty good for a 9 year old. The woman instantly fell for his act.

"Oh, you poor thing! Of course I'll take a newspaper! Here's a dime." The woman hands Les a coin and strolls away with her paper. He turns back to us, a small grin on his face.

"Born to the breed." Jack says.

"This is so much better than school!" Les says and high fives Jack.

"Don't even think about it. When Pop goes back to work, we go back to school." I look at Jack and something seems off about him. He had seemed so confident but now stood a little shorter than Les and me. Was it something I said?

"So's how bout we divvy up the money, grab some chow, and find a safe for you's to spend the night?" Jack was back to standing tall and is smiling sweetly.

"We gotta get home. Our folks will be waiting for us." Jack's grin fades. He looks so bewildered. And then it hits me. Jack's got no folks. Poor kid.

"Ya got folks, huh?" He says, a little quieter and less peppy.

"Doesn't everyone?" I elbow Les after he makes that comment.

"Our dad tangled with a delivery truck on the job. Messed up his leg real bad, they laid him off. That's how come we had to find work." I tell him.

"Yeah, sure, that makes sense. Too bad about your dad." Jack nods, taking this information in.

"Why don't you come home with us for dinner? Our folks would be happy to have you." I offer.

"Mom's a great cook." Les tells him.

"Thanks for the invite, but I just remembered I got plans with a fella. He's probably waiting on me right now." Jack says.

Les points at two men. "Is that the guy your meeting?" Jack and I turn to face the man. He is in all black and doesn't look too happy to see Jack.

"Kelly!" Jack grabs Les.

"Run for it!" Jack shouts and we take off.

"What other choice do we have?" I shout back.

The man starts running too. "Officer, grab him. You, Jack Kelly, stop! KELLY!" We leap onto a fire escape ladder and climb off of the rooftop, back down the other side, and into a building. I didn't hear any footsteps behind us so I know we are safe.