Something to Believe In--Jack

I'm climbing to the roof. When I arrive at the top, I see Katherine sitting there. She has her back turned to me. She notices me and turns around a bit.

"That was some speech you made."

"How'd you get here?" I ask. I notice some papers on her lap.

"Esther showed me." She said. I take the papers off of her lap.

"She say you could go through my stuff?" I ask. She was looking at one I had done of the main room of the Refuge.

"Wait. Esther? She's alright? She's out? Wow, he works fast."

Thank god. Katherine shakes her head.

"She was out before the deal was made. She got out on her own. The newsies said that she was back last night. She's the only reason Brooklyn joined the strike. After you left the ralley, she made a wonderful speech. I have some of her quotes in writing."

"So I took that deal for nothing?!"

"You didn't know that. And about the drawings, I saw them rolled up, sticking out of there. I didn't know what they were. These drawings.....? These are drawings of the Refuge, aren't they?"

She slowly slides the paper out of my hand, studying them closer. "Is this really what its like in there: three boys to a bed, rats everywhere, and vermin?"

"A little different from where you were raised?" I say.

"Snyder told my father you were arrested for stealing food and clothing. This is why, isn't it? You stole to feed those kids." I turn away, embarrassed.

"And what about Esther? What was her reason?" I flinch a little at the mention of her name.

"Her parents were murdered when she was seven. She was a thief for two years until she got caught one day and handed over to Snyder."

"I'm sorry for you guys. But I don't understand. If you were willing to go to jail for her and those kids, how could you turn on them now?"

I snort. "I don't think you're anyone to talk about turning on folks."

"I never turned on you or anyone else." She says.

"No. You just double crossed us to your father. Your father!" I spat hotly.

"My father has eyes on every corner of this city. He doesnt need me spying on him. And I never lied. I just didn't tell you everything...." I cut her off.

"If you weren't a girl, you'd be trying to talk with a fist in your mouth."

"I said I worked for the sun and I did. I told you my professional name was Plumber and it is. You never asked my real one." She has a point.

"I wouldn't think I had to unless I knew I was dealing with a backstabber." I said.

"And if I was a boy, you'd be looking at me through one swollen eye." She says. I step forward.

"Dont let that stop you. Gimme your best shot."

I'm waiting for a punch.

I'm waiting for a black eye.

But no.

I got something better.

She grabbed my face and she pulls me into a kiss.

I wished it wouldn't have ended.

She pulls away. I wait for a second before trying to get another one in. Sadly, she blocks it.

"I need to know you didn't cave for the money." She says.

"I spoke the truth. You win the fight when you got the other fella eating pavement. You heard your father. No matter how many days we strike, he ain't giving up. I really don't know what else we can do." She smiles.

"Ah. But I do."

"Oh come on...." I say. She frowns.

"Really, Jack? Really? Only you can have a good idea? Or is it because I'm a girl?"

"Esther has good ideas and she's a girl." I point out.

"This would be a good time to shut up. Being boss doesn't mean you have all the answers. Just the brains to recognize the right ones when you hear it."

"I'm listening."

"Good for you. The strike was your idea. The ralley was Davey's.  Esther got us Brooklyn. And now my plan will take us to the finish us to the finish line. Deal with it." She takes a piece of paper out of her pocket and she hands it to me.

"The Children's Crusade." I say, reading the title aloud. Before I can go on, she grabs it back.

"For the sake of all the kids in every sweatshop, factory, and slaughter house in New York City, I beg you...join us. With those words, the strike stopped being just about the newsies. You challenged the whole generation to stand up and demand a place at the table. Esther said that was the only reason Brooklyn joined the strike. She mentioned the kids to Spot, and the spit shake was done."

"The Children's Crusade?" I repeat.

"Think Jack. If we publish this, my words with one of your drawings! And if every worker under twenty one read it and stayed home from work....or better yet, came to Newsie Square! It would be a general city wide strike! Even my father can't ignore that." She squeals softly and I chuckle.

"Only one small problem: we got no way to print it."

"Come on, there has to be one printing press that he doesn't control."

Wait.

There is one....

"I know where there's a printing press no one would ever think we'd use."

"Then why are we still standing here?" She starts down the ladder but I grab her hand.

"Wait. Stop. What's this about for you? And I don't mean the Children's Crusade. What's this about?" I indicated the two of us. "Am I kidding myself or is there something?"

"Of course there is." She says.

"Well don't say it like it happens every day!" I say.

"Oh Jack..."

"I'm no idiot. I know that girls like you don't wind up with guys like me. And I  don't want you promising nothing you gotta take back later. But standing here tonight....looking at you...I'm scared tomorrow will come and change everything."

She steps back onto the roof and she takes my hands.

"If there was a way I grab a hold of something to make time stop. Just so's I could keep looking at you." I say. Katherine smiles.

"You snuck up on me Jack Kelly. I never even saw it coming."

"For sure?" I ask.

"For sure."

(Play the song up top.)