Santa Fe-------Jack

I awoke to footsteps from behind me. I thought it might be Weasel, so I wasn't that eager to rise. But no. I see a fellow newsie, gazing out into the city. His gray cap is turned to the side so I can see a bit of blondish hair poking out from underneath it. His clothes are covered in dust but his shoes look new. I rub my eyes to see he's resting on a slanted brown line... a crutch.

"Crutchie, why are you up so early? The morning bells ain't rung yet. Get back to sleep." Crutchie turned to me the best he could.

"I want to beat the others out to the street today. I don't want no one to see I ain't been walking so good." He slumped in disappointment.

"Crutchie, some of the other newsies fake limps for sympathy. That bum leg of yours is a gold mine." I wrapped my arm around his shoulder.

"Someone gets the idea I can't make it on my own, they'll lock me up in The Refuge for good." He hobbled over to a fire escape ladder.

"Be a pal, Jack. Help me down, now would ya?" I take his hand and try to lead him down. His foot slips and he yelps. Thank goodness I catch him just before he could fall. I pull him back up to the rooftop and he stands back up as if nothing happened.

"You wanna bust that other leg too?"

"No. I wanna go down." I shake my head and sigh.

"You'll be down there soon enough. Take a moment to drink in my penthouse high above the stinkin' streets of New York." I gesture to the roof we are currently standing on.

"You're crazy."

"Just because I like a breath of fresh air? Cause I like seein' the sky and the stars?"

"You're seein stars alright!"

I walked over to the rail and scowled at the cold-hearted streets of New York. I thought of my old man. Years of rotten jobs, stomped on by bosses. And when they finally broke him, they tossed him out to the curb like yesterday's papes.

(Play the song up top and scroll back down here)

At WATCH ME STAND, Crutchie drops his crutch and stands on one leg. He extends his arms and a cool breeze ruffled his blonde hair. Realizing this can't last forever, he picks up his crutch and turns away. I gently turn him back to me and he looks up, distraught. I wrap my arms around him.

At JUST HOLD ON KID, Crutchie closes his eyes and he leans against me as the sun begins to rise. It really is a beautiful sight. Purples and reds, oranges and yellows paint the sky so beautifully. The church bell chimes, signaling it's 5 AM.

"Time for dreaming's done." I gesture to the crutch. Crutchie takes a hold of the railing and I take the crutch. I bang it on the metal, sounding an alarm.

"Hey! Esther, Specs, Race, Henry, Albert, Elmer! Get a move on! These papes won't sell themselves!"