v. Evanscet

Disappear - cease to be visible

After that perfect day I spent with Tom, he became very distant. It was now June, and we haven't talked much since October. To make everything better, there were many rumors that students were being petrified. I hadn't witnessed it yet, but the information was spreading around the school like wildfire. Abraxas and Tom we're back to companions, and Abraxas was no longer angry with us, especially since Tom and I haven't really talked since that day. He said he was caught up in his studies. I guess it made sense, but I was a little skeptical. I happened to be a very skeptical person in general. First, Tom basically disappears, with me only seeing him in the halls, then students get petrified left and right? It made no sense! Tom couldn't be behind this though, could he? I couldn't.. no, I wouldn't believe it. Yeah sure, he was quite secretive, and wanted power, but surely he wouldn't go to these lengths, right?

After dinner ended, I went to the girl's lavatory. There happened to be only one other person in a stall. She seemed to be crying.

"Hello, are you alright?" I called out. I wasn't sure who was in the cubicle, but as a prefect, it felt like my duty to make sure she was alright, Slytherin or not. Usually I wouldn't care, but my coldness seemed to be slightly fading due to Tom and I's connection.

"Leave me alone." She replied coldly in between sobs. I decided it was best to just leave her be, then.

"Just make sure to be back in your common room soon, it's getting quite late." I replied blandly. Then I made my way out of the girl's lavatory and up into my common room. Tom was nowhere to be seen. I had enough of this bullshit.

I briskly walked to the boy's dormitory, and knocked quite furiously on the door. Avery was the one to open the door, he yawned as he squinted his eyes at me.

"Yes, Malfoy?" He said tiredly.

"Where's Tom." I shot back quickly. It came out quite coldly, not even in a questioning tone.

"Not here. Hell, I haven't seen him in the dormitory or common room at all today, Y/n."

"Thanks." I finally replied, but it wasn't very genuine. Avery was not very helpful.

I decided that after a little bit of studying, I would go attempt to find Tom. It would be quite late, so I'd have to be silent and very cautious. Even though I'm a prefect, being out too late is still a questioning action. It would've look like I was up to something, and although I was, it wasn't anything terrible. I could've been blamed for the petrified students if I was caught.

TIME SKIP.

I checked the clock and it happened to be quite late, so I decided it was time. I quietly shuffled out of my dormitory, and into the common room. No one was on the couches any longer, so I decided to make my way up the stairs, out of the dungeon. Once I did, I saw the familiar, tall boy, his defined features glowed in the warm light. His curls were placed perfectly above his eye. There was a group of people carrying what seemed to be a student on a stretcher. The body was covered with a sheet, so I couldn't make out who it was. Their hand looked ice cold, and all the colour from their rather small hand was drained. Chills ran down my spine as I recognized the loss of colour instantly. They weren't petrified, they were dead.

Next thing I know, Professor Albus Dumbledore approached Tom. I decided to stay in my hiding place, which was behind a cold, stone wall, right next to a portrait with a sleeping knight inside.