i. Affluenza

Affluenza - a psychological malaise supposedly affecting wealthy young people, symptoms of which include a lack of motivation, feelings of guilt, and a sense of isolation.

Why did I feel this way. I was apart of one of the most powerful families with a pure bloodline. I held a lot of pride within. I loved being a Malfoy, I think. Love was something that was difficult for me to feel, merely because it wasn't common in my life. My parents wanted power. So did my brother, Abraxas. I wanted power. Power. Love is a power, right? Life is a power. So is lust. Lust. Such an odd thing, but something I wanted quite often. I hardly even understood lust. I was sixteen. I never experienced lust. Desire. Sexual desire.

I snapped out of my thoughts when my dear brother nudged me with his elbow quite harshly. Abraxas and I were twins, but not quite identical. We happened to be quite different. We both wanted power, though. That is a similarity. He seemed to care about me most times. I could never truly tell. Did he care about power more? I never really did find that out.

Soon, we ended up at Kings Cross Station, where our parents dumped us off. That was a sign of the lack of love. Being dumped off at a train station at the young age of sixteen. I suppose it's not that young, though.

We strutted straight to platform 9 and 3/4, and briskly went through the cold, brick wall with our luggage. On the other side of that plain, brick wall is where all of the magic occurred. Young, bustling wizards, eager to learn. I loved to watch the underclassmen say goodbye to their parents, or whomever they came with, and excitedly board the train. It reminded me of my first year at Hogwarts. Now, I'm a sixth year. It happens to be my second year of having the title of prefect alongside Tom Riddle. That is what I wanted. The power I craved. Being titled prefect was powerful. I believe Tom felt the same. He was quiet, and always held a solemn facial expression. We got along, but we weren't friends. Abraxas was quite fond of him. I think he liked the idea of his power. Even I liked the idea of Tom's power.

I stuffed my luggage away, and headed into an open compartment with Abraxas. We sat down across from each other. We were alone until Tom Riddle and his companion Avery walked in silently. Their hands were in their pockets, and their expressions were blank. Riddle ended up sitting beside me, and Avery sat beside my brother.

"Hello Tom. Avery." I finally spoke out, breaking the silence. Abraxas nodded at the pair.

"Wonderful to see you again, Y/N and Abraxas." Avery said back, quite warmly. It was curious for him to speak in such a welcoming tone. We all typically spoke coldly. Tom gave me a nod. I slightly frowned at that. I really did wish he was more talkative towards me. Abraxas noticed my facial change, and gave me a faint grin. He knew I considered Tom appealing. I didn't like him like that. I found him to be a very interesting person, really.

"How did summer break treat you?" I continued, trying to keep the conversation alive.

"Quite well. How about you two?" Avery replied, sensing my eagerness to continue it.

"Typical. Not much happened, but we did visit some family." Abraxas added, and I nodded to his response. Tom stayed silent. He was an orphan, so I imagine it wasn't the most enjoyable. He spent every holiday at Hogwarts. As a matter of fact, he spent as much time as he possibly could at Hogwarts. Sometimes Abraxas and I would stay during Christmas time. Our parents would send us gifts through our owl.

I decided to glance over at Tom. He was writing in a small, black journal.

"What's that?" I decided to ask. This was risky, as it may be personal, but I went for it anyway. I was very curious per usual.