6. Enigma

The day didn't turn out to be that bad, as Scarlett had thought it'd turn out to be. When she had woken up, she felt a nagging poke in her gut that he day was creepy and bad, but so far, the day was not...that bad, she was making the special pancakes, as the coffee machine beeped indicting that the coffee was ready, Scarlett added one shot of sugar, as instructed by the owner of the orphanage, Mr. Marcello was a private man, he was always locked in the office build upstairs, essentially the orphanage should be handled by two brothers, but so far, Scarlett had seen only one, the other brother was yet to be seen.

But Scarlett was not sure, if she wanted to meet any new person, at the moment, she was good without meeting him, anyone for the record. She flipped the pancakes as she placed them into a tray carefully, along with the coffee she had just made, she had already made the pancakes for the kids, as they were already eating them on the dining table, and the two munchkins, were also being fed by some children.

Scarlett had met Mr. Marcello, he was a cranky, but decent man, for him, the kids came first, he is constantly checking up on them, from time to time. Though he never spent time with them. But it looked like he cared for them, she glanced at the clock which read, 10.00 AM, Scarlett was late today, she was so slow whilst making pancakes, because stirring the batter was making her hand move in such ways, which filled her eyes with tears, but with an idyllic façade she continued with her work, the date to her payment was coming and so was the date for the bills. She needed this job, so she could pay her mother' bills, as well as store for the tuition fees for the second year of her college.

Scarlett climbed up the stairs as she balanced the tray in her shaky hands which were painfully shaking due to the weight on them. She bit her lip as she tried to knock with her elbow, but finally when she had knocked two times, barely audible, a swift cranky 'come in' came from behind the door, as she pushed the door with her hips, because after the knocking she did, she could not apply pressure onto the elbows again.

A grunt came from the man sitting behind the stack of papers, with a small shy smile, Scarlett placed the tray on the edge of the table, as she cleared some place, so that she could actually put the tray there.

The man picked his coffee as Scarlett waited for him to finish, as he forwarded a page of the budget sheet towards her, Scarlett took it with shaky hands, and scrunched her brows together as she looked at the man in confusion.

"Add the amount which would be suitable, for one more kid." He grumbled as he bit onto the piece of pancake.

"What?" Scarlett softly mumbled, still confused.

"There's a new kid, of around five coming here in about a week, add the amount which would fill the necessities and share in food." He grumbled as he loudly slurped the coffee, Scarlett winced at the harsh sound, as she filled the sum of money, passing the sheet back to the man, Scarlett was about to leave as they both heard a loud crash from downstairs, both of their' eyes widened as they thought of the possibility of a kid wounded.

As fast as Scarlett could push through with her throbbing knees she did, as the man practically threw his coffee mug as he ran for downstairs, Scarlett climbed down the stairs, with an occasional hiss, as she felt the tears cloud her vision, she blinked them, and as she reached downstairs, it was not at all what she had expected...

To be continued...

*

Hellow marshmallowssss‼‼‼‼

JEEZ JOKING ‼

JEEZ FOLKS!

DON'T KILL ME WITH THOSE GAZES.