Chapter 1

Spirit's pov
"Children!time to get up!"ms.Keegan said,I yawned and slowly got down from my bunk.my bunk mate Jonesy was still asleep,I shook my head in disappointment."Jonesy wake up!"i said,shaking him.he groaned,"5 more minutes."he mumbled.i sighed,"I guess then you don't want this cookie."i said,taking a cookie out of my pocket.he immediately opened his eyes,"ok!ok!I'm up!"he said.i laughed and handed him the cookie,after he finished eating it I helped him onto his wheelchair.See Jonesy broke both of his legs in a fire,a house beam fell on his legs when he went to go save his dad.he's was supposed to get better by next year but it's now already next year,and he hasn't gotten better.ms.Keegan lifted Jonesy up and carried him downstairs,it my job to carry his wheelchair down the stairs.

Once we were down the stairs I placed Jonesy's wheelchair on the ground,ms.Keegan gently placed Jonesy down on his wheelchair."did you know today was adoption day Spirit?"Jonesy asked as we went to the dining area,"I did,I just didn't wanna get excited yet."i said."I'm sure someone will want to adopt you Spirit!"Jonesy tried to reassure me,it kinda worked.after breakfast we were allowed to play in the playground,"Ready for the race Spirit?"Jacob asked."You know it!"i said,taking out my orange car from my pocket.we placed it on the track Kris made,"On your mark,get set...Go!"Pavo said.the race then began!"come on orange car!"some kids cheered for my car,"Beat the orange car!"other kids were cheering for Jacob.