Fourteen

The gentle patter of the rain on my roof was enough to put me to sleep. It was the perfect weather to stay inside and play The Sims while listening to the rhythm of the rain. Instead, I watched as the rain slid down the window. My chosen raindrops had won twice now.

I was alone at home right now. I didn't know what to do, so I just decided to sit here and watch the rain. It's kinda making me need to pee. I wasn't just sitting there watching raindrops win races. No, I was thinking about Shayne. I couldn't think about anything else at this point.

I just want to sit on the couch with him there with me. His arm wrapped around me as I cuddle up next to him. We'd just sit there listening to the rain and enjoying each other's company.

Unfortunately, that's not happening.

The thought of that hurt. I can't believe I want him so bad. I never thought this would happen. When we first met we were just friends who messed around like we were siblings, but now....it seems to be all about love. My passion for Shayne Robert Topp. My yearning for him.

I was tempted to call him. To bring him here with me, so that we could be together. My heart says yes, but my mind is disagreeing so much that my head aches. I lifted my phone, but quickly put it back down and shook off the thought. I laid my head back down and watched the nature outside of the window. The rain hitting the flora and the porch right outside of my door. I slipped on that once.

Out of the corner of my eye I noticed that my phone had lit up. I was getting a call from the one and only Shayne. I quickly picked it up and listened for his voice on the other side.

"Hey, Court. How are you doing?" He asked

"Oh, I'm doing just fine. I'm just sitting here watching the rain," I said

"Same. Do you have to pee too?"

"Yep," I let out a small chuckle. It was silence for a minute. I heard him shuffling around on the other side. "Shayne...I..."

"Hm?"

I so badly want to tell him. How I feel about him. What I want. What I need from him.

"I know it's rainy and wet, but..." I paused for a moment trying to remember what I was going to say. "Do you think...you could come over?"

"I don't see why not," this time he paused. "Do you need me to bring anything?"

"Just yourself is fine"

"Okay, I'll be there soon," he hung up and I kept the phone to my ear. I never noticed, but my foot had been tapping ferociously on the floor.

"Okay. See you soon..." I said to no one. I held my phone down in front of me with two hands and stared at the picture Ian sent me. The one with Shayne and I together on that couch. I love this picture, and the man in it.

A little later I heard a rumble in the sky. It looks like this isn't just a rain storm. I watched as the rain grew more intense and tapped against my window stronger than before. I hope Shayne can get here okay.

A little more waiting and I hear a knock on the door. I hear Shayne's voice on the other side. He's doing a New York accent.

"Hey hey hey, it's me. I'm here and I got your pizza for ya," he said. I smiled and opened the door. He was wearing his "You're my favorite pizza place" shirt under his tan jacket. His backwards red hat was soaked and so was the hair that didn't make it under.

"I didn't order any pizza," I said

"But you ordered me, and I'm here in a pizza shirt. I think that's close enough," he shrugged.

"I see no jalapenos or pineapples on you," I looked around his body playfully.

"Well that's because one of those doesn't belong on pizza," he walked past me and placed his wet jacket on the hanger in the corner.

"You dare walk into my home and disrespect my pizza?"

"Only half of it," he laughed. He sat on the couch and pulled out his phone, opening Twitter. I smiled at him. I didn't say anything, I just smiled. "So, you gonna let me know why you invited me here on this depressing day or what?"

"Just thought maybe we could hang out. It's a nice day to stay inside. Plus, I needed someone to be with. It's not just a rain storm out there," I said as I sat next to him.

"Yeah I know, I was out there," he placed his phone on the table and leaned back putting his arms into the air. I poked his stomach and he poked my head.

"Hey!" I laughed.

"What? You started it," he said. His smile. I can't get enough of that smile.

"Listen, Shayne. I....um....I really need to talk to you about something," I said nervously. I looked down at my feet and watched them shift on the floor.

"Alright," he turned his body towards me. I looked up at him and saw his face. It was reassuring me that it was okay.

"What if....what if I were to tell you that I was in love with you?"

He gave me a confused look. One that said "what the hell do you mean?"

"Just you know...wondering..." I said looking back down at my feet.

"Well...I'd certainly be a bit shocked," he said readjusting his wet hat. "Um, I mean I wouldn't have much of a problem with it because it is how you feel and all"

"Oh, that's good"

"Are...uh...are you in love with me?"

"Oh...no, no I was....it was just a little, um, wondering...you know"

"Ah, okay"

I cursed myself for not telling him the truth when I could. I so wanted to, but my nerves got in the damn way.

We spent the rest of the night watching movies and talking randomly. We ended up going until 1 am when Shayne noticed the time

"Oh, I better get going. Its pretty late and we have work tomorrow"

"Right," I said. He grabbed his jacket and stood in front of the door with his hand on the knob.

"You gonna be okay?" He asked. I took a second to answer. I didn't want him to leave, but at the same time I didn't want to keep him.

"Yeah, I'll be fine," I stood up and stood behind him. "I'll see you tomorrow"

"See you," he walked out the door and I walked out with him. I watched as he made his way to his car and the raindrops hitting his hat. I stood under the roof of the hangover of the roof and watched with my arms crossed.

He's right there. I feel like I have to say something, but I can't. It's now or never, but never seems like the option I'm choosing. No, not anymore.

"Shayne?" I said. He was about to enter the car when he stopped and looked back at me. I walked out to him without a jacket and in my short sleeves and shorts and stood in front of him. "Forgive me for this"

I grabbed his jacket and pulled him towards me and our lips met. I didn't see how he reacted, but judging by his body I'd say he was surprised, but later relaxed.

Once we let go he looked at me both surprised and confused.

"Why'd you do that?" He asked

"Remember when I asked about saying that I was in love with you?" I asked, "Well...it's true. I know you dont feel the same way, but I just thought I should tell you..."

He stopped me by kissing me again. When he let go I looked at him surprised this time.

"Who said I didn't?"

"You...you love me too?"

"You bet," he grabbed my waist and pulled me into another kiss. We were there for who knows how long in the rain kissing. Best night of my life.